GT 380 oil pump issues..........

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
hydrocarbonlover

GT 380 oil pump issues..........

Post by hydrocarbonlover »

Hi Chaps,

I lately bought a 380 in from Italy the bike is in exellent original condition, due to circumstances I never used it and was that a lucky thing....

there was a tap placed on the oil feed to the tap and the oil pump wasn't working.......I sourced a pump and bled the lines out however

over the course of two days the oil tank emptied out on the garage floor.......added more oil but I can't see where or how its leaking out ??? :cry:

Any help advice gratefully received.......its my first stroker ......

thanks
mick 63

Re: GT 380 oil pump issues..........

Post by mick 63 »

I would start at the oil tank check for leaks there first , check where the oil line comes out to go to the pump and also the sight glass on the tank,

then work your way down to the pump and check round there , if you can clean off those areas with some carb cleaner or brake cleaner it will help ,

if you cant see anything visually try using some baby powder round those areas it will show up a trail of oil if you have a leak , cheers Mick.
hydrocarbonlover

Thanks Mick..........I'll have a poke around at the weekend....
hydrocarbonlover

well I checked the oil tank ....no leak from sight glass or oil feed to pump connection or at the pump ,
could the oil be leaking through the pump ????

I am stumped by this development .................... :tw
arthur

Post by arthur »

Could be the oil seals on the base of the pump to the oil line spider the oil drips through a drain hole in the cases under the pump cover
or the seal on the oil feed adjuster arm the oil seeps out through the arm fixing gallery and runs down through the hole it empties the tank overnight :o
Both were US on my pump
Although the on the arm seal is a very special item and unobtainable, ;) I just used a off the shelf rubber O ring
and so far so good!!
the spider seals are available on line (e bay)
hydrocarbonlover

Thanks Arthur .....I will investigate this...... :|
arthur

Post by arthur »

Any joy?
hydrocarbonlover

Hi Arthur,

no I can't seem to find the oil leaking out................it doesn't seem to be leaking through the pump

I'm really stumped by this .............. :cry: