gt750 crankcase welding

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
nairb123

gt750 crankcase welding

Post by nairb123 »

Is it possible to weld the metal on the underside of a gt750 crankcase. Today I decided to sort out the endless oil drip from the sump drain bolt. Using a new crush washer I went to put the thing back together and found the bolt a loose fit. When I tightened it up the whole drain plug + part of the crankcase fell away. Now there is broken mess where the drain plug should go.

So maybe a fix is to have the bottom crankcase welded up and a new drain plug hole created. Is this doable ??.

Nairb
oldjapanesebikes

Re: gt750 crankcase welding

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Without being able to actually see the damaged item, that is a bit like asking 'how long is a piece of string'. However - If the problem is fairly localised, it should be possible - I have had cracks on crankcases welded up previously. You just need to find someone who is skilled. 8-)
==================================
Ian
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com
nairb123

Post by nairb123 »

Last edited by nairb123 on Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldjapanesebikes

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

That shouldn't be a problem to have repaired - but just make sure you find someone who is qualified to do that sort of work. If you lived in Calgary I could recommend someone, but I'm sure someone on the board can suggest someone local to you. 8-)
==================================
Ian
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com
astrax

Post by astrax »

Hi Nairb

One option would be, cut the remaining bit off, file / machine flat, turn up a 22mm round piece of ally and drill and tap M14 thread inside, then weld that on, smooth the welds with a dremel, good welder hard to spot it was damaged.
Just need to make sure oil tube at 90 degrees isn't damaged with the welding.

Not sure how much it would cost for machining and welding, but definitely better for it to go now than fail later and empty your gear oil all over the road / back tyre on a corner.

Good luck.

Ian
benstoke122

Post by benstoke122 »

astrax wrote: Sun May 24, 2015 5:03 pm Hi Nairb

One option would be, cut the remaining bit off, file / machine flat, turn up a 22mm round piece of ally and drill and tap M14 thread inside, then weld that on, smooth the welds with a dremel, good welder hard to spot it was damaged.
Just need to make sure oil tube at 90 degrees 8-) hobart ez tig review isn't damaged with the welding.

Not sure how much it would cost for machining and welding, but definitely better for it to go now than fail later and empty your gear oil all over the road / back tyre on a corner.

Good luck.

Ian
In industry most of the materials are fabricated into the desired shapes mainly by one of the four methods, casting, forming, machining and welding. The selection of a particular technique depends upon different factors which may include shape and the size of the component, precision required, cost, material and its availability.