Project X

Post here if you are doing anything different
madforitkev

Re: Project X

Post by madforitkev »

Teazer

I ran some tests on the sensor comparing the voltage O/P to the manufacturers spec using brake cleaner as the tester (recommended by them).

It all ties up and the ECU reads correctly.

I think my AFR probe may not be long enough, not going into the belly enough.....will fiddle with that for a bit. I will also take a harder look at my dyno guys setup.

Stay tuned......(see what I did there? Classic Dad joke). I know....stick to the day job.
Honest baby....this is probably the cheapest bike I have ever bought!!
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

The bowden cable link to the throttle bodies was annoying me.

It wasnt easy to adjust the oil pump or balance that against the throttle body butterfly positions.

So I went back to where I started by adding a lever arm under the throttle position sensor.
TBoil lever.jpg
Its a bit of a snug fit in the frame (everything seems to 'just fit'when I finally lock the design down - must be Karma)

I've run a temporary linkage for now which I can adjust.
oilpump1.jpg
When I do the final build I will change the angle on the lever arm to make the run straighter and add a fancy turn buckle.
turn buckle.jpg
I've played with the AFR sensor position, so I'm ready for more test runs now :D

I've spent a bit of time relaying the bikes computer PCB to shrink it. Plan is to have the ECU and main computer fitted up under the hinged fuel tank, so the next bit of fettling after the test runs will be the tank/computers assemblies.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

As everything else on this job, first class standard.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Managed a few more road runs this week. Getting it dialed in nicely :D

It is soooo easy compared to carbs! Ride, stop, link to PC, adjust, ride...repeat.

No more workshop smelling of petrol (I like it personally but other aren't so keen :lol: )

So enough of that until I go to the dyno again.

Last bit of major engineering is hiding the ECU and main computer and adding the tank lifting mechanism.

Plan is to have both fitted under the flip up tank.
tank1.jpg
I will make a flat mounting plate that is held on with 4 shock mounts that screw into 4 nuts that are welded into the tank (yellow circles).
tank4.jpg
The green mark is where the outlet for my in-tank oil tank outlet is. I am going to hack that out now and add a oil level sensor to the system.

I'm going to try a capacitive sensor which should give a linear readout.
oil sensor.PNG
The two boxes will then mount on the plate and be nicely accessible under the hinged tank.

The mounting plate will also be the forward gas strut mount.
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

My plan to use the fancy Hellas sensor oil level failed out of the gate.

I was hoping it was a simple analog output or at worst a PWM signal.

Having eventually found a data sheet, it is a PWM but with a fancy encoded signal that unless you pay big bucks they wont tell you what it is. :shock:

So plan B. I still really want an oil level sensor in the inner tank and have found a nice simple low/high switch of a Piaggio,

I've hacked a hole in the outer (fuel) tank and will weld a spacer/adapter onto the inner (oil) tank and the re-weld the outer tank....simples...
oil sensor2.jpg
750ynot

Post by 750ynot »

I wish I knew what you were on about most of the time, this is fascinating to me, keep up the great work and posting pics mate, I just stocked up on popcorn and waiting for more updates, we are all lucky to have people like you around, still pushing the boundaries on these old beautiful machines, excellent work, really top notch stuff 8-)
Tony
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Thanks for the encouragement Tony!

One day she will be out there in all her Heath Robinson Glory for all to see! For now I get pleasure out of annoying the neighbors on the test runs. :D

I've spent the last few nights updating the wiring diagram to start planning the final loom....VERY boring

Tank welding tomorrow, then I am off for a couple of weeks (dirt bike rally round the Balkans), so it will go quiet for a bit.

Thanks for staying tuned.
750ynot

Post by 750ynot »

8-) 8-)
Tony
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

The Queen (God bless her!) has granted me some more fettling time (AKA Wife has gone AWOl for the weekend). That and I have fractured my leg on the rally last week.... :o

All of the above have meant I am locked in the mancave until further notice. :D As I am clearly unbearable!! :lol:

This weeks mission was;

1. Cut/weld tank to fit oil sensor sensor port
2. Weld ECU and computer box mounts to tank and make mounting plate
3. Work out how gas struts will fit/work
4. Design tank release mechanism into steering damper.

So the welded tank looks like this with the shock mounts fitted;
tank 15.jpg
and the mockup of the plate and ECU and main computer boxes fitted is;
tank14.jpg
WIth the plate properly fitted and the gas strut mounts in place ......
tank11.jpg
And on the bike......Honda kindly put a threaded boss just where I need it for one of the gas strut mounts and a tapped hole sorted the other. I originally tried 100N gas struts but even with a full tank they are too stiff. I've got some 50's in the post and I am also tying with a kitchen cupboard soft close option (the Wife will never notice......).
tank10.jpg

For now I will just fit a good/bad oil sensor (AKA Paigio fuel sensor) into the tank but will replace it with a level indicator I am designing later.
oil sensor2.jpg
The tank release uses 2 PIP pins that fit into the (now drilled out) front tank mounts through the steering damper base.
tank13.jpg
The pins have small springs around them to take up some vibration and by pushing the middle button on each pin the tank comes up :D
tank12.jpg
tank16.jpg
Next job is to squeeze all the water system back in around the gas struts, lengthen the ECU wires a bit then fire he up again.......

That I think is the last of the major engineering (hopefully). I've still got a wish list of tweaks but nothing serious, they can wait for the final build.......
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Bad luck with the injury, but good to see that a dose of grumpiness is allowing the bike build to progress!!
Proof that four strokes are over complicated