Rectify me

teazer

Rectify me

Post by teazer »

I was cleaning and sorting a pile of used GT750 electrical equipment and restoring what could be saved. Alternator stators and rotors and wiring harnesses and so on.

Then I dug out the box of rectifiers expecting to find them all the same but it turns out that there was more than one design.

Parts lists show part number32800-31020 for J and JK models and a much heavier unit 32800-31021 for LMAB. That's all fine and good, but of the three JK types I found two that look identical and the third is the same design but has a ground wire (earth lead) connected to the end plate of the rectifier.

So then I looked at the LMAB type and it looks right but has no ground lead built i. It grounds through the mounting bolt as they all do.

The rectifier on a B model in the shop looks like a large version of the JK version but once again it has a ground lead built in to the wiring.

Some may be from different models of Suzuki of course that had been fitted over the years. Or maybe the ones I have were from say a 550 or some other model and mixed in with GT750 stuff. Or maybe Suzuki used Stanley for some and an alternate supplier for others.

One thing I didn't realize earlier is that one end plate is connected to ground and the other end plate is connected to the battery all the time. The red lead is riveted to one end plate. From now on I will be a little more careful wielding spanners and screwdrivers near a rectifier.

If the late Ian Sandy were still around I'd ask him to update the Guide at OldjapaeneBikes.com. Anyone know who took that over if anyone did?