Nylon Points Cog gt 380 wanted

arthur

Nylon Points Cog gt 380 wanted

Post by arthur »

As the title says I think I am in need of a replacement nylon points cog as mine gave up the ghost on Sunday morning.
I was just getting ready to go to the Wistanstow show but never even got off the drive, she was just warming up when she stopped dead no spluttering, no warning, nothing .
Checked for spark nothing , took off the points cover and the cam can be turned freely by hand methinks its goosed!
SO has anybody one they might want to part with ?
Or can anybody point me in the right direction to find one?
barney01

Re: Nylon Points Cog gt 380 wanted

Post by barney01 »

NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

arthur wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:37 am As the title says I think I am in need of a replacement nylon points cog as mine gave up the ghost on Sunday morning.
I was just getting ready to go to the Wistanstow show but never even got off the drive, she was just warming up when she stopped dead no spluttering, no warning, nothing .
Checked for spark nothing , took off the points cover and the cam can be turned freely by hand methinks its goosed!
SO has anybody one they might want to part with ?
Or can anybody point me in the right direction to find one?
Have a look before you fork out. If it was the gear, I expect it to bite in places, not turn freely. It may be that the woodruff key that holds it has come adrift. Kev
arthur

Post by arthur »

Hi ,thanks for that I will have a look tomorrow ,I guess I'm a glass half full type! :D
arthur

Post by arthur »

Hi Kev back again,
OK so pulled the clutch case off it seems someone has been in there before judging by the amount of orange sealer slapped on .
That was the good part, the bad part is the nylon cog was in three pieces like a broken set of dentures lying in the bottom of the cases.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Well, that's the end of that cog! Shame but at least you know for sure now. £90 isn't a lot to get the old girl on the road for summer though. Kev
arthur

Post by arthur »

Hi again, I have ordered a new cog so while I wait I am cleaning off all the old gasket and trying to remove what's left of the cog. But how do I get the cam /propeller out of the cases to remove the broken cog from the shaft?
Is it on a woodruff key ?
If I take the nut off the end of the shaft can I tap the shaft back through the case?
Or should it come off from the front?
I have looked in the Haynes but I can't find the answer
arthur

Post by arthur »

So here we are again!
I bit the bullet and bought the cog fitted it and lined everything up as per the Haynes but when the outer cover is pushed back on the propeller dose not line up with the mark on the case, its almost as if its one tooth out
and if you line the pointer there is not enough adjustment on the back plate to get the points set.
Should I pull the case off and try re-seating
Am I being DIM??
arthur

Post by arthur »

YES! IS THE CORRECT ANSWER :D