Coolant question

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
yeadon_m

Coolant question

Post by yeadon_m »

Folks,

Asking in order to avoid blunders.

About to refill coolant circuit on my 750A. Only the hoses from T'stat cover, rad itself and lower spigot have been removed then replaced (did not disturb water pump rebuilt by PO 1000miles ago).

Do I simply refill with specific amount of 50:50 distilled water mixed with antifreeze/summer coolant available in every car shop? or there a special coolant to use? ('Golden Cruiser' not being available....sounds like something one might be arrested for in some jurisdictions :-)

Given what I have disturbed/replaced, is there any call for 'Bars Leaks' to be added? I recall some listers pleading with us not to add the stuff, but what do you think? if needed, whats the modern expression of Bars Leaks?

Cheers!
Mike
mick 63

Re: Coolant question

Post by mick 63 »

Hi Mike, when i did my head gasket earlier in the year i changed my coolant at the same time

i just used Blue star antifreeze from the local motormania, mixed it 50/50

and i didn't use any Bars leak,

you can still get Bars leak & Rad weld but some say it can clog the rad?,

cheers Mick.
bandit 1

Post by bandit 1 »

I agree with mick i did the same as him with no radweld and had no leaks just make sure your antifreeze is sutable for ali engines which i am sure most of it is now andy.
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Thanks Mick and Andy, I thought it'd be OK, but easier to check than fix later :-)
Mike
malky

Post by malky »

The best stuff I have found is "COOLING SYSTEM STOP LEAK" made by Wynns,its a liquid type of sealer and you can stick it in as a preventative measure in case a stone should hit the rad Ive used it for years in the kettle and all my cars and never had a rad leak you only need to use about half a tin ,I think the original Suzuki one was in liquid form
Malky.