GT750B finally all done

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
yeadon_m

GT750B finally all done

Post by yeadon_m »

I don't think I've posted much about my 'spare Kettle', a GT750B I bought in 2009 and which has given me endless trouble and grief. Reminder to self, don't buy someone else's half-arsed resto and expect to get what you'd do yourself.
Anyway, after a long list of amateur-night type faults in carbs, electrics and rolling components (none in the motor thank god) that have taken me more than a year of on and off tinkering to sort, finally had a good length of ride purely for the fun of it (as opposed to all the others when I was tracking down faults).
Did the 'Ashford Loop' (50miles) half in drizzle but nothing could wipe the grin off my face behind the rain spattered visor. As far as these bikes ever are, it is now totally perfect and known-fault free. Can hardly believe it. And I will sell it next spring as I don't have time to ride two Kettles plus the small GT and the modern.
This one pulls like a train, no bucking, idles at 1000rpm, handles well and no glitches emerged at all. Brilliant to have a ride like that, even in our crap climate.
Hope you had fun today too.
Cheers!
Mike
Attachments
Mike Y's GT750B (Large).jpg
snowyrock

Re: GT750B finally all done

Post by snowyrock »

Hello mike ,
We see you heading on the a28 just past wye approaching canterbury ,black 750 B white crash helmet , me on black rocket 3 roadster , with friends on new thunderbird blue and old thunderbird sport , orange /black .
Nice to see the kettle out !! hope you got home before the rain ? we just made it !! we had been via sellindge and stone street home via a28 wye , probably reverse what you did ,to the punch tavern (carvery £3.50 great one ) then Robinsons and foundry .

Snowy
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Snowy,

Terrific! I do recall you guys, we each 'nodded' the other. yep, guy on black GT750B, black jacket, white Shark lid, lights on, that was me. (Someone darn nearly turned right across me a week previous on the GT380, same road, when I had no lights on).

It drizzled ever so slightly most of the time out, but 10mins after I got home the skies opened. Lucky :-)

Hey, we almost met at last. Must do it by arrangement soon.

I see you 'cheat' also and go out on a modern. Confession - I do most of my miles on the GSx1400, but for entertainment value including, 'will it get me home?', there's nothing like an ol' GT.

Cheers,
Mike
Attachments
GSX at work Sept 2010007 (Large).jpg
KETTLE BOY

Post by KETTLE BOY »

I don't like newish bikes, but that's looks like somthing i would ride, for a blast. now and then, and it's a suzuki too.
GT750 J 1972
GT750 L 1974
Z900 A4 1976
ZZR1100. 1998
Breville Sandwich Maker
I'm never wrong.. Once I thought I was, but I was mistaken.

yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

The 14 is a beast or a pussycat, depending on mood - just twist and choose!
Not hugely powerful, but the torque, the torque - wow. I think its pretty much got more than the plastic fantastics.
For me, it is the modern incarnation in 2007 of what my Kettle was in 1977. And the twist is, it is the great great grandchild of the GS750, the bike that killed the Kettle.
And that kinda made it OK to park it...next to my Kettle!
snowyrock

Post by snowyrock »

Not bad for a moped mate !!