Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Bluehazebrakes

Re: barrel puller

Post by Bluehazebrakes »

There is another way but it's a trade secret!!and has worked every time so far
didge

Post by didge »

Here's the low down on the barrels, last weekend I took the motor out, and lifted off the head putting "plus gas" down the bolt holes.

Move forward a week.

Put the barrel pulling kit on and bugger me, it lifted, BUT, it got 1/2 way up and just stopped, the bolts were either getting VERY tight or spinning !!!

My smart assed son Billy decided to check the hole sizes from a spare set of barrels I have, and blow me the hole at the top is bigger than the bottom and the 17mm bolts were stuck in the conicaled end, so.................

We bolted the plate that my engineering mate had made directly to the barrels and lightly tapped the corners, tra la, it came off.

The cranks out and it all looks very scary, so far it hasn't cost anything, but I suspect that aint gonna last long.

So what's the "trade secret" then Phil, dish the dirt, go on, you know you want to.
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

Ok then here he is!
suzukiboss

Post by suzukiboss »

It takes 1 hour to left of the sh... every time. It has newer let me down !
John Boyd

Post by John Boyd »

Hi Guys,
I just joined up , my really nice 1975 GT750 ( only 27,000 miles ) has just died.
Out having a good blast when suddenly it went onto two cylinders. At first I thought it was lack of fuel so put it onto the reserve , but no difference.
Limped home on two cylinders.
A check showed the problem was the left cylinder , checked spark etc , all OK , no back firing or any thing , no strange noises or clouds of smoke
Removing the air filter box I found that there was no suction on the left cylinder and with the plug removed there is no compression
Any ideas guys. A hole in the piston or broken skirt I would have thought would show up with smoke , noise etc.
Look forward to comments.
If the barrel has to come off can this be done with the engine in the frame ?
Cheers
John Boyd
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

First thing welcome to the forum John.

Looks like you have done the right things so far. It may be good news that you have no compression it may be just a piston! You can take the barrels of without removing the engine no problem. If a piston has failed sometimes the debris destroys the seals. If it does turn out to be crank seals Chris Appleby will do seals only for about £200. Ps were you riding in this weather!!!
didge

Post by didge »

BAZ wrote:First thing welcome to the forum John.

You can take the barrels of without removing the engine no problem.

If it does turn out to be crank seals Chris Appleby will do seals only for about £200.

I never knew that you could take the barrels off in situ, I'll have to remember that, and as for Chris appleby engineering, their kettle gods.

IF you were a kettle club member they'll give ya discount too.
bandit 1

Post by bandit 1 »

suzukiboss wrote:It takes 1 hour to left of the sh... every time. It has newer let me down !
hi every one went to take the barrels of the gt750 and low and behold i have the same problem as every one else they will not come of just wondering if there is any gt750 owners in essex that have got one of these barrel pullers i could borrow or mabe buy,some body was doing this heavy duty one on ebay the other week but not now any help greatfully recieved thanks andy
bandit 1

Post by bandit 1 »

hi guys got up this morning and thought i would have a go at getting the flipin barrels of the gt750 so of i went down to is&g steels in stock essex and this very helpfull man sorted though the scrap bin for me and found some 10mm x 200mm flat bar so he cut me 2 piecses 450 long and charged me £10 result got home drilled all the holes in one piece thought i would try that first ,shot down to b&q got the bolts and buy 11,30am barrels of then down to the enginerring shop to get price for rebore £90 inc vat now all i have to do is wait for the pistons to turn up then get it bored,so if any one in essex wants to borrow one
ive got one,oh sorry suzukiboss but it looks like yours .