Re-keying locks

clem

Re-keying locks

Post by clem »

Hi all

Can anyone advise on how to strip Suzuki gt steering locks? I have successfully re-keyed GT seat locks so the process of actually re-keying not the prob, just how to get the actual lock assembly out of the steering lock casing without damage baffling me.
Cheers Clem
yeadon_m

Re: Re-keying locks

Post by yeadon_m »

Clem,

Glad you are having a go. I learned to do it with help from various folks who post here.

Steering locks are easy peasy once you know how, but it is more invasive than seat and ignition, where rekeying leaves no trace :-))

See pic - you only have to find a way to mechanically remove that little 'tang', a kind of vertical locking gate piece. Bend back the crimping - usually a pair of marks where a tool pressed it home decades ago - and use tweezers or a pick to slide it up. Then the whole lock cylinder slides out the key end and you can swap the leaves to suit. Replace it, slide home the tang, drop of superglue and you're done.

Sometimes it can be a b***** to get the tang out as the alloy is thick, but thats all there is to it. It drops into a cut out in the alloy lock cylinder to stop it coming out in use.

Let us know how you get on!

Cheers,
Mike
ps: this was my first go and I made a mess of it. Now I can do it without all that metal shaving malarky. That happened because I knew how it was sealed but did not know how to do it deftly so I kinda went at it! Of course, its all hidden when installed anyway.
Attachments
Tang removed to allow keeper plate out.jpg
clem

Post by clem »

Thanks Mike

I will have a go and let you know how it went. I like to do as much as possible myself, being a tight git! Also I was going to cut a lock in half to work out how it was assembled, so you have saved me a lock too.

Cheers Clem
oldjapanesebikes

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Here is another photo of the lock in bits, and the locking tab you need to remove that Mike referred to:

==================================
Ian
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com
clem

Post by clem »

Thanks Ian
clem

Post by clem »

Thanks for the advice Mike, i have now managed to strip the steering lock with no problems.
Cheers Clem
oldjapanesebikes

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Good to hear ! Image Image
==================================
Ian
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com