help

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
graham

help

Post by graham »

hi guys im restoring gt750m and im after some advice on what needs be powder coating or gloss paint ie frame ,yokes ,airbox ect and what is the best way to get crankcases and carbs back to like new aswell as the wheel hubs .if someone some could give me an idea of what bits on the bike what paint finish they should be thanks graham
BAZ

Re: help

Post by BAZ »

Welcome to the forum Graham. Are you looking to make it a bling finish or standard factory finish. Cheers BAZ
graham

Post by graham »

BAZ wrote:Welcome to the forum Graham. Are you looking to make it a bling finish or standard factory finish. Cheers BAZ
standard as close as i can get really baz
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

Standard finish does cost more for instance a new rear guard with factory chrome would cost about £140 but a rechromed one about half that. And the chrome would be better. And new rims with poor chrome are about £180. New ones with better finish £120(Central wheels Birmingham) if your bike is from the states it may just need stripping cleaning and painting. I think you should post pictures.
graham

Post by graham »

Yeh I will some pics ova the next day or so.tank a side panels are freshly painted so that saved me some doller the frame has been hit with black hamerite at some point so that coming off and also the pipes have some road rash and a tiny dent on 1 can these be repaired
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Hi Graham, welcome and happy christmas!

Many folk will get the airbox spray painted, and the frame either two-pack painted or powder coated. They both look great, though paint leaves the headstock markings / VIN and holes in better shape, where the PC is tougher but comes with other compromises.

Pipes can be rechromed - roadrash can be polished out if quite superficial, but dents are very difficult. Most firms cannot or will not repair by puddling or pulling out. DK M/Cs do sell a remanufactured system which while twice the price or more of a quality rechrome, is getting good reviews!

Crankcases can be steam cleaned and/or soda blasted, and carbs deep cleaned ultrasonically (inside) before external polishing yourself (easy).

Cheers!
Mike
graham

Post by graham »

thanks mike for the airbox is it satan black or gloss and what are your thoughts on the paint on the yokes and handel bar clamps i thinking of pc the frame and swing arm thanks graham
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Graham,
I have glossed everything, including frame, yokes/triple tree, handlebar clamps, airbox and brake parts. If PCing do mask off size-critical regions and those that hold bearings and threads (at PC is a bugger for getting into everything!). Two-pack paint works well also, but I think it may not be quite as hardwearing?
I couldn't tell you that is the 'right' finish, but is easier to keep it looking good than matt or semigloss!
Cheers,
Mike