Earwig

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Alan H

Re: Earwig

Post by Alan H »

Started to strip it all down now Mike, the Piper is off and I'm thinking of having it ceramic coated.
It looks as if it's been underwater for the last 25 years!!

Yes, good job I cleaned the oil tank out!!

Like the paint on the Yam parts - maybe slightly bigger flakes, I'll have to speak to the painter man.
Attachments
rough or what.jpg
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Alan,

Hmm...I'd not thought of a ceramic finish. Any links to the service / finish?

On your PIper, are the downpipes slightly rippled on the inner curvatures? mine are and I wondered if that was just down to careless bending on my example. If chromed, it'd just be ripply chrome! The collector box and tailpipe are in good nick though, as are the front facing curves of the downpipes. Testing to do before I'll decide anyway. Winter is long....

Cheers,
Mike
barney01

Post by barney01 »

how did a ballbearing get in the oil tank! a lucky escape Alan....
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

yeadon_m wrote:Alan,

Hmm...I'd not thought of a ceramic finish. Any links to the service / finish?

On your PIper, are the downpipes slightly rippled on the inner curvatures? mine are and I wondered if that was just down to careless bending on my example. If chromed, it'd just be ripply chrome! The collector box and tailpipe are in good nick though, as are the front facing curves of the downpipes. Testing to do before I'll decide anyway. Winter is long....

Cheers,
Mike
Don't think so Mike, but I'll check when I go back in there. It's all very rusty, but chrome underneath. I think it'll need shotblasting to get all the chrome off, but I'll have to take advice on that. Like you say, plenty of time until spring!
THESE do ceramic coating.
I thought I had a couple of websites saved but I'll have to have another look. The titanium colour looks nice I think.
The poor old K looks quite lonely now the A is stripped.
Attachments
Looking lonely!.jpg
suzukigary

Post by suzukigary »

barney01 wrote:how did a ballbearing get in the oil tank! a lucky escape Alan....
I was wondering if some one had put an hand full in it to clean it out. May be that one slipped through the net?

Gary
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Gawd knows, but the oil was only just dripping out and very thick. Probably all been in there 30-odd years.
I'll have to get a bucket of soapy water to do the outside of the oil tank, all gunky crap stuck on. Bloody disgusting, the swing arm and sprocket area are the same.
Lockstop is broken on one side, that'll have to be welded before it goes to the powder coaters.
Here we go again................
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

All the bits back from the powder coaters - except the swing arm, torque arm and chain protector which were plastic coated which needs burning off.
Another friggin' job!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Got all the plastic coating off that will come off, and it can go to the powder coaters/shot blasters for round 2 now.
Frame built up with new taper roller bearings, and starting to look a bit like a bike again.
Must get the engine to the aqua blast people this week.

The rear shocks on the Red 550 have different fitments on the tops and bottoms - without the steel tubes - so I'll have to get some made for that. Fortunately I've got some new shocks that can go on when I get the swing arm back from blast/clean. I think I'll go with Dunlop StreetSmarts again as they are quite good on the K.
Wonder what colour to do the GS550 alloy wheels? Titanium might be nice and will match the 3-1 exhaust when I get it ceramic coated.
Then the paintwork and all the other bits to do, shouldn't take long at all!! :roll: :roll:
I've seen a nice seat, but that looks like next month's pay packet getting hammered.

Just paying for everything will hurt like buggery.
Oh me poor wallet, it's ME that needs to lose a few pounds............
Attachments
Seat.jpg
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Alan,

Bend down, touch your toes, and tap in the PIN. There, better?

Mike
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Sob!!!
Attachments
crying.gif
crying.gif (1.92 KiB) Viewed 1143 times