Earwig

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Alan H

Re: Earwig

Post by Alan H »

The paintwork is being done as I post, so all there is left to do is................

well, everything else really!!

Trouble is, Lynn keeps booking holidays and work gets in the way as well.
Richard, Haggler, Gary Jay and a few others were at the Oil Can café (clicky)yesterday. A good morning out it was with a GT750, T500, GT550 and a Kwakerzappi - all triples - filling the car park with blue smoke so we couldn't see the TVR clubs cars!!

Hopefully it will be running in time for the Classic TT in August with Richard anyway.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
LC201

Post by LC201 »

Alan H wrote:The paintwork is being done as I post, so all there is left to do is................

well, everything else really!!

Trouble is, Lynn keeps booking holidays and work gets in the way as well.
Richard, Haggler, Gary Jay and a few others were at the Oil Can café (clicky)yesterday. A good morning out it was with a GT750, T500, GT550 and a Kwakerzappi - all triples - filling the car park with blue smoke so we couldn't see the TVR clubs cars!!

Hopefully it will be running in time for the Classic TT in August with Richard anyway.
Any pics??
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Hmmm. Dunno what happened to the pics.
I posted 4 so here they are again.
Attachments
Very pretty innit?
Very pretty innit?
And fits the original brackets too
And fits the original brackets too
That bit was easy
That bit was easy
This wasn't as straightforward.
This wasn't as straightforward.
oldjapanesebikes

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Nice ! Image
==================================
Ian
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Pistons all shiny clean and rings/bores look decent so will go back as was. Got the sprocket cover off and the sprocket is a dud. It was going to be changed anyway, so no great issue there. Then found the 6mm bolts were TAF and wouldn't shift. Had to pop a 10mm socket in the lathe for adjustments and then a few doses of impact driver fetched the little sods off.
The smallest sensibly priced GS550 sprocket (for the ally wheel) I can get is a 47 tooth (standard 50T) and as the GT550 rear is a 40 that makes the ratio 2.6667/1 with a 15 front. So to get near I will have to get a 17 front which will give 2.764/1 which shouldn't be too far off. I have to do it that way as the GT sprocket carrier is different to the GS and can't be swapped, so the original GS wheel complete will be used (as originally planned) with different sprockets.
I'll have to hope that the GS speedo drive is the same ratio as the GT, or the clock will read wrong. Maybe just fit a GS clock next to the rev counter in the normal housing as they look similar sized. I fancied having an electronic set of clocks, but too much messing about and not enough time to do it anyway.

The gear indicator switch had come loose and some of the wires are a bit chewed up so that will need attention. I'll have to check and see if there's a spare on one of the other engines I have stashed at work. Nothing straightforward is there?

Tyres should be here Tuesday, so I can get them on the wheels and have a rolling chassis, which will give me some more room in the garage when I can get it where I can work on it.

I'll post some pics when I can get it out of the garage with the wheels and tyres fitted.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

No tyres yet - Grrrr!, so whipped the clutch off and cleaned/checked it all then put it back as it looked OK.
Whipped the genny stator off as the wiring needed prettying and noticed that the brushes are very low. Bugger. Robinsons want £137 odd each for them so if they aren't available at a reasonable price elsewhere (hopefully closer than the US) I'll make some.
I've emailed a couple of places just in case and see what sort of money is involved. I'll have a scrounge in the boxes in the garage first as there might be a genny or two in there. Probably the other type of course..........
As soon as I get the bloody tyres I can get the chassis down and the engine back in and start with all the other stuff.
Nothing straightforward is there?
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Alan,
Brush prices are daft as. That really is silly. Obviously they don't want to sell any.
Better off buying a used one off ebay in hope, but I'll bet you can make some!
Cheers,
Mike
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

No-one bothered replying to requests for genny brushes so ordered some at £2.99 a pair and slightly oversize, so they should be made to fit. We'll see.
Tyres fitted and started to put the discs on, found two threads not too good so redrilled and helicoiled them and disc fitted fine.
Turned wheel round to fit t'other disc and another thread not too good so this will have to be done tomorrow. Bugger!!
Other bits prettied up and two sets of Astrax's blingy disc holder-onner lockwasher thingys fitted.
Of course I need three sets (disc rear now) and also some for the rear sprocket too. No chuffin' end to it is there?
Two spare gear indicator switches in the 'spares box', so one will be fitted.
Genny cable made pretty and new heatshrink on, contacts and plug cleaned.
Hopefully the wheels should be on tomorrow unless something else breaks/strips/doesn't fit/f*cks up then the engine can go back in.
God must wazz himself laughing on a regular basis thinking how to bolox me up again, then watching me find his cock up.
I'll get me own back, I'll take some Castrol R with me when I snuff it and gas the bugger!!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Well the wheels work and the seat fits anyway. See if the engine goes in tomorrow.
Attachments
Now the real work starts
Now the real work starts
JOHNJENKS66

Post by JOHNJENKS66 »

Alan,love the look of it, 8-) 8-) .starting to take shape,very nice indeed.
Your knee seems tohave made a good enough recovery :lol: :lol:
Have you made up your mind on the colour scheme yet??
what the fuck was that ????

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.. If you are reading this in English, then thank our Soldiers..