1975 GT750 rear shocks...Hummmmmm?

Skyguyz

1975 GT750 rear shocks...Hummmmmm?

Post by Skyguyz »

NOOB ALERT! = Sky :lol:

So my OEM rear shocks, (*Shockers?) are used up and worn out. There are no more OEM shocks that I can find and if there was they would be many quid more than one can expect. My options are some pattern part shocks on "Flea-Bay" but they are modeled after the earlier GT750, (Long top chrome cover vs short chrome cover for the 1974 and up.) I am trying to keep it as OEM looking as possible but I cannot find any close to a 1975 shock. I do not plan on doing the "Ton" on this bike but safety first.

The question is should I opt for the reproduction shocks that mirror the look of an earlier GT750 or try and go with something else?

* the reproduction shock on Ebay:

A OEM shock for 1975 GT750

Thanks again,

Sky
wardy

Re: 1975 GT750 rear shocks...Hummmmmm?

Post by wardy »

I must say that I have these reproduction shockers on both my 380 and Gt750 and they are fine.
I would say.. go for it.
very good value for money.
( I have also bought similar ebay shocks for my Kawasaki z650 ands z400j and these are also good)
Andy;
1976 gt750A; 86 FZ750
1977gt380A
1982 z400j
1981 z650f.....1988 Sufolk punch 14"
"look;it's my bike; when you own it ,you can paint it any colour you like!"
(I once painted my Z650 PINK and had the pink panther logo on the tailpiece)
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

I've had the short shroud repro' shocks on my "A" model kettle and they were okay "ish", I bought them off ebay UK for about £60 and they seemed fine until I noticed that the top and bottom rubber mounting dampers were rapidly disintegrating, so I put the original Suzuki shocks back on.
About a year ago I fitted a pair of Hagon shocks which are a proper replica of the originals, albeit slightly heftier. The ride difference is amazing, with the "wallowing" that the tired Suzuki shocks had developed completely gone.
I'd recommend the Hagons at around £220, but if on a budget the repro's are fine for low mileage rides, just watch the rubber dampers.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
wardy

Post by wardy »

stevewharton wrote:I've had the short shroud repro' shocks on my "A" model kettle and they were okay "ish", I bought them off ebay UK for about £60 and they seemed fine until I noticed that the top and bottom rubber mounting dampers were rapidly disintegrating, so I put the original Suzuki shocks back on.
About a year ago I fitted a pair of Hagon shocks which are a proper replica of the originals, albeit slightly heftier. The ride difference is amazing, with the "wallowing" that the tired Suzuki shocks had developed completely gone.
I'd recommend the Hagons at around £220, but if on a budget the repro's are fine for low mileage rides, just watch the rubber dampers.
Low milage rides is about right Steve. nowadays I do not go mega milages on my bikes any more , so they should last for years @ 2000 miles a year. I guess you get what you pay for and Hagons are certainly excellent, but at a price.
One thing I would say is that on my z650 even on the softest setting, they still give a little bit of a too harsh ride for me, but I can't adjust them anymore!
Andy;
1976 gt750A; 86 FZ750
1977gt380A
1982 z400j
1981 z650f.....1988 Sufolk punch 14"
"look;it's my bike; when you own it ,you can paint it any colour you like!"
(I once painted my Z650 PINK and had the pink panther logo on the tailpiece)
Skyguyz

Post by Skyguyz »

wardy wrote:I must say that I have these reproduction shockers on both my 380 and Gt750 and they are fine.
I would say.. go for it.
very good value for money.
( I have also bought similar ebay shocks for my Kawasaki z650 ands z400j and these are also good)
Thanks wardy. I'll def consider them.
Skyguyz

Post by Skyguyz »

stevewharton wrote:I've had the short shroud repro' shocks on my "A" model kettle and they were okay "ish", I bought them off ebay UK for about £60 and they seemed fine until I noticed that the top and bottom rubber mounting dampers were rapidly disintegrating, so I put the original Suzuki shocks back on.
I have Hagons on my 74 Norton and they are very good indeed. Although I will ride this Suzuki, it won't be a lot, *Too many other machines in the stable. I will look into the Hagons because they are a quality shock. Thanks again for the info.

Sky
Skyguyz

Post by Skyguyz »

Well, I opted for these. Thanks for all the sage advice.

Sky

https://www.tecbikepartsusa.com/TEC_bra ... a-s750.htm
Chris57

Post by Chris57 »

Like Steve I fitted Hagon's (@ $260) a while back and they're so much better than the "originals" but those @ $79 if they only last a couple of summers you've not lost a lot by trying them that's for sure.
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Skyguyz wrote:Well, I opted for these. Thanks for all the sage advice.

Sky

https://www.tecbikepartsusa.com/TEC_bra ... a-s750.htm
Look okay and should be fine Sky, just keep an eye on the rubber dampers.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Hagons. If you buy direct and tell them your exact requirements, they will build shocks to suit YOU and YOUR bike.
There's a set of 'standard' Hagons on the Hippo, and they're a lot better than oem or pattern.
Pay yer money and take the choice!!
Proof that four strokes are over complicated