Suzuki GT 550 in Poland

Here you can post a picture of you and your bike. Also where you are located and if you are prepared to give local kettle owners some of your time and experience.Please don't do discussions here just some facts about yourself. This was Glens idea! Thanks BAZ
tato81

Re: Suzuki GT 550 in Poland

Post by tato81 »

I came back this year to finish the project. The barrels from langcourt and the crankshaft from Applebee's are back with me. Baz is sending Carburetors soon. But now I have a problem with AIRBOX. I bought one for my model, but it does not fit the rubber of the old model

My old rubber part that connects the airbox to the carburetor, does not fit the newer model airbox. New type airbox has smaller hole than older type, as long as I can still deal with it. The question is whether the rubber will fit in thenew typ carburetors. I don't know if anyone will understand what I mean. Sorry, fellas.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

The early type for J,K models (separate carbs) is completely different to the linked carbed airbox and I'm sorry, but I don't have a complete spare. What do you actually need Tato?
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
tato81

Post by tato81 »

Alan H wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:52 pm The early type for J,K models (separate carbs) is completely different to the linked carbed airbox and I'm sorry, but I don't have a complete spare. What do you actually need Tato?
I need the parts marked in red in the picture

How do I know if it's a rubber for a new airbox model?

I found something like this on ebay. No description. It will fit the new type of carburetors?
tato81

Post by tato81 »

Another one, what do you think? It's GT550 or GT380. The auction description says it's a 550 but it looks like a 380 to me. 10-1/4” end to end

barney01

Post by barney01 »

Look here
viewtopic.php?t=12602&hilit=Airbox&start=40
There is lots of info in the post
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
tato81

Post by tato81 »

barney01 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:40 pm Look here
viewtopic.php?t=12602&hilit=Airbox&start=40
There is lots of info in the post
Yes, I am familiar with this topic. This confirms that the photo above is a GT380. It's awfully hard to get a GT550 :( The worst thing is that even the sellers don't know what they are selling, as Alan said. All that are available to buy are for 380 :cry:
tato81

Post by tato81 »

See what I came up with. I measured a piece of old timing belt for the new airbox type. And I tried it on the old GT550J/K duck foot. It turned out that its width perfectly covers the difference between the GT550JK duck and new type Airbox. This makes the oldtypeduck foot fit perfectly into the new Airbox. This is what I'll have as an alternative if I can't buy a new wellingtons

Image Image Image

and film on my YouTube channel:

https://youtu.be/1gd8d9Rn7h4
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Great idea.
Remember the trumpets on the later airboxes are a bit shorter (see that other thread for comparison) but I don't suppose you're going to race the bike, so shouldn't be a problem.
Last edited by Alan H on Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tato81

Post by tato81 »

Alan H wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:09 pm Great idea.
Remember the trumpets on the later airboxes are a bit shorter (see that other thread for comparison) but I don't suppose you're going to race the bike, so shouldn't be a probkem.
Exactly. I was wondering if I should cut them off.... Cut the trumpets of course, few centimeters
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Well..... your engine is nikasil and the trumpets are for the earlier iron bores, but I honestly can't see there being a problem unless you decide to enter a race.