Project X

Post here if you are doing anything different
madforitkev

Re: Project X

Post by madforitkev »

Another thing that was annoying me was the dam awful rear numberplate mount....
mud1.jpg
Bit of a monstrosity and well, naff!

Hunting around for inspiration, I found one of these....
mud7.jpg
Of course it didn't fit and didn't have a mount to use with a SS swinging arm.....but I do love a challenge. :D

First thing to do was to add some indicator mounts (eventually I won't have these, the indicators will be in the fan housings) onto the back of the mudguard and run the cable inside the tubing and to add some plate lights to the assembly.

Next the tricky bit. I only have one mounting option, the clamp bolt on the rear hub. So after finding a longer bolt, I made and fitted this adjustable bracket.
mud4.jpg
Next, I had to make a sliding mount to mate with the arm bracket and match it with the mudguard tube holes.
mud2.jpg
And finally all assembled......
mud5.jpg
On the final build I will run some slightly longer bolts and put dome nuts on the outside. All up it looks like...
mud6.jpg
mud8.jpg
Mucho better!! :tw

At the moment it is very slightly off centre but I can tweak that later when I strip it. :D

Time to fire it up again.......
Honest baby....this is probably the cheapest bike I have ever bought!!
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Quick update.

All back together and fired up :D
together 2.jpg
I do like the new tail...... :lol:
together1.jpg
So things to do next....

She's a little hard to start when cold so I need to adjust the cranking enrichment. Thankfully that is VERY easy......The cranking curve % adjustment is on top of the base fuel load and only active while cranking (which I set to below 600 rpm on the Speeduino).

A few more test runs with the Lambda sensor logging next.

I've stripped the clocks again to update the electronics and the look of the front end is the last tweak, so I need to get them back on and get some inspiration.
clocks.jpg
Major stumbling block in the plan is the daughters wedding. I've told I have to clean out the workshop as its needed as a kitchen!!!!! The nerve!!.....So no strip down till that's all done in August.

So with the front end sorted, I've got the new main computer case to make and fit under the tank and the Relay (pump, injectors, fans) control box to make and the in-fan indicators. The wiring is a total mess at the moment (work in progress until the new computer is added), but I'm not bothered about that right now. Oh and a fancy new alternator cover....stay tuned....

Some where in there I will squeeze another dyno run, in the knowledge that my compression is slightly low as I am running a head gasket at the moment while I sort the Wills rings/squish head diameter mismatch out.

Then its take it all apart again and do the pretties.....
750ynot

Post by 750ynot »

Superb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Tony
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Some of you may remember that I grafted a Ducati 998 alternator into the bike.

Obviously that messed up the casing somewhat and I wanted to find a cover that would allow some cooling.

First attempt was a bit Naff....
cov1.jpg
More tea and head scratching led me to.....
cov3.jpg
Nice laser cut S offset mounted on a cover plate to allow air flow into the alternator but catch any bulk water.

and......
cov4.jpg
Teazer gave me grief for the original thought, so hopefully this will suffice?
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Went to the Kettle Club event last weekend at the Fire College in Glos.

Lots of nice bikes....
KC.jpg
Took the old girl for a day out.

Mines on the end of the second row on the right (twin headlights).

Lots of nice people. Had a long chat with Phil (he made the 1000cc Kettle) about fuel injection. He is keen to try it.

Did a few test rides messing around with the fuel map but I need to get back on the dyno to really get it dialed in so I will book that next week. Its really hard to find a good 2T dyno company with the experience needed and the right tools. I am trying a new one hopefully this time and will give some feedback.

Learnt a lesson this week.... fuel injection doesnt work very well when the battery is low....AKA remember to reconnect the regulator after you change its location...DUH!

Sent the final build main computer PCB off to get made this week then I am going to create a complete wiring loom off the bike to test everything and work out the best wiring runs.

Dyno done and its strip down time and start hitting the long list of minor tweaks for the rebuild....

Oh and she won a 'Best Special' award at the event. Not too shabby for something that looks like it was dragged out of a barn.......
burgs

Post by burgs »

Hi Kev
Good going old mate :D
Burgs
750ynot

Post by 750ynot »

That sure is a site to see, the sound and smell must have been orgasmic!!! 8-)
Tony
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

After riding behind that lot for a few hours, I was drenched in Eau d'2T :D
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

A couple if my 4 stroke mates don't like following the Earwig due to the angle of the spannies.
Perfect for 'spitting' 2 oil spots at 8k rpm!! :)
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Getting into the wiring and final electronic build now.

The main computer is all done;
arduino.jpg
It fits in a box under the tank next to the ECU.

Next step is to lay the wiring harness out and check all the circuit drawing. I will do an off bike build to check everything works first.

There is one other relay box that sits in the tail for the heavy current parts which is also pretty much done now, just waiting for the box.

I am going to experiment with a home dyno test next week.

Does anyone remember the old Gunson Colour Tunes? Basically a spark plug with a glass window that you could see the colour of the burn through. Blue is good, Orange is rich, White is lean etc.

With the mappable ECU I can hold at different throttle positions, look at the colour and adjust key points in the map then smooth the map between the points. Might work, might not but if I do get a blue map and then do the proper dyno run it will be fun to compare. Luckily I have a mate who lives on a farm and I can go make some noise!!! :lol: