Project X

Post here if you are doing anything different
madforitkev

Re: Project X

Post by madforitkev »

Tell me about it.....I am at the point of no return now!! :shock:
Honest baby....this is probably the cheapest bike I have ever bought!!
garry55

Post by garry55 »

Nice work on the new engine brackets. Mounting it off the barrel is a good idea, as the barrel casting is pretty much indestructible.
I hope........... :D
Garry.

Inside every standard Kettle is a bloody good engine crying for help............... :D
teazer

Post by teazer »

Impressive work but really annoying when a highly modified part has to be changed or one aspect of the modification doesn't work out as planned.

Keep on keeping on.
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Been battling with the Speeduino ECU a bit this week.

I updated to the latest firmware and it created a comms bug which took ages to track down as I also had a hardware fault on the board.

Short story is with the rebore all done, heads sorted, new head mounts, ECU fixed and my new drop in adjustable stingers, it runs pretty good.

The new mini upfront radiator (aka scooter oil cooler) works really well and has dropped my temp at least 5 degrees.

I am not going to go back to the dyno just yet and have decided to crack on and add the fuel injection part first.

Time to strap these bad boys on!
tb13.jpg
Cant wait to go fly by wire. 3 x 36mm carb springs was starting to make my wrists ache. :lol:
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Did a fuel rail assembly pressure test today.

The system will run at about 50 PSI (3.4 bar). Cranked it up to 5 bar and everything seems fine. There's a few O rings in there so I am pleased.

Next test was setting up the regulator
fuel reg.jpg
Its lowest setting is about 3.4 bar and it can be adjusted by the screw in the bottom if I need to up the pressures.

And the last little job was reassembling all the fuel pump parts I stripped off for the carb runs.
pump.jpg
Did a quick test run on the pump and that seems good as well.

This is roughly how it will all connect together
fuel regulator 1.PNG
The fuel rail actually has two inlets. When the pressure goes over the setting, spare fuel gets sent back to the tank.

My current challenge is I have a mechanical clash with a body bolt on the throttle bodies and the bulge in the clutch housing. When I split the engine again I will make space for that but for now I'm going to mount the bodies up side down. This will change the injection angle a bit but it will still work and allow me to get past the next tricky stage which is all the fuel settings in the ECU.

Wiring next. :D
garry55

Post by garry55 »

Have you added a fourth cylinder? :D

Neat work, as always.
Garry.

Inside every standard Kettle is a bloody good engine crying for help............... :D
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

I did think about a 4th pot...maybe next time.

I should have the fuel running next week and have decided to play with an AFR gauge to help set up a rough tune.
AFR.PNG
This uses a wide band O2 (oxygen) sensor.

If I can read a rough AFR (air/fuel ratio) I should be able to build a rough fuel table before the next dyno run.

Unlike 4 strokes, you cant run the sensor in the exhaust header and basically it has to be stuffed down the tail pipe and the ideal AFR for a fuel stroke is a bit of a black art.

I am setting up a logger input into the ECU so will have a fiddle and see if I can get any decent results.
teazer

Post by teazer »

Best place is in the belly section of the expansion chamber. We all think that there's more or less steady pressure coming down the tailpipe but the reality is that in each revolution, the pressure in the tail pipe changes from a high of 1.6bar to a low of 0.7bar so it sucks and blows and if the sensor is too close to the end of the pipe, it will read lean because of the air it has sucked in.

That's why dyno exhaust sniffers have a long tube that the operator inserts as far into the chamber as they can. And yes, A:F ratios are not quite what people expect them to be. Set it rich and add extra fuel as the throttle opens. You can always lean out steady state cruise conditions later on.
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Yep, I am attaching a long tube to the sensor so that it pushes past the stinger start into the belly.

Any what AFR's are ideal for a 2 stroker across the rev range?

I am guessing somewhere around;

Starting 1:1-3

Idling 1:8-10

Low speed running 1:10-13

Light load ordinary running 1:14-16

Heavy load 1:12-14
teazer

Post by teazer »

Those are a good enough place to start, but you really want to know what the actual values are for your bike on the dyno so you can give the bike what it needs to run well. Typically you will be looking at rich A:F ratios to keep it cool and a fairly high level of unburned hydocarbons (raw fuel down the pipe).

I would expect that with better atomization, you would get better (cleaner & more complete) burn which will probably raise combustion temperatures and you might have to add more fuel to control the temperature, but that's just speculation on my part.

As always, start rich and safe and asymptote to the correct mixture across the table. With Alpha-n you are using revs and throttle opening to drive the fuel table. The results should be interesting.