You can chat about anything you like here
spanner
Location: stockton-on -tees, near middlesbrough, north east england

Post by spanner »

Hi All,
just signed up and will no doubt be calling on you all very soon for all kinds of advice,
i'm in stockton-on-tees but don't hold that against me.

my story so far, probably very familiar, always loved the kettle, never owned one until last year.
bought B model as a non runner but with a lot of NOS parts fitted, an abandoned project thrown together for a sale.
spent time cleaning / buying missing parts and trying to get started,
eventually got her fired up, ran very rough, coughed, backfired, spat clean (gearbox oil?) from exhaust top right pipe.
apparently it had been stood for 4 years +,so now the full engine rebuild is about to commence.

plan is to ride not show.

cant wait to see if she handles like my superduke!

any warnings or tips before i start would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,
Dave.
BAZ

Re: new member

Post by BAZ »

Welcome Spanner we will help you as much as we can.I come from Dudley and everybody holds it against me! BAZ
mark.read3

Post by mark.read3 »

spanner wrote:
cant wait to see if she handles like my superduke!

any warnings or tips before i start would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,
Dave.
Apply brakes at least 100 yards before you really need them, close eyes and prey in the wet ?
2strokejohnny

Post by 2strokejohnny »

why don't new members put their location up ?
Suzuki GT750B
Suzuki GT750K
Triumph T100 Unit Bonny
Haggler

Post by Haggler »

[quote="spanner"]Hi All,
just signed up and will no doubt be calling on you all very soon for all kinds of advice,

The clue is in the first paragraph TSJ !!Welcome aboard I myself come from that neck of the woods although not bin livin there for a good while
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Hi Spanner,
You will have fun and grief in equal measure but its all fixable!! great choice of bike. I too only started in Kettle Land in 2009 after 31 years with a GT380 :-))
It might be that your two stroke oil pump and lines have allowed a lot of oil to slowly dribble past some of the check valves in the lines themselves and half filled your right hand crankcase - at least I hope thats how you have oil coming from you right exhaust!
Is the two stroke tank almost empty? is the oil in bright red or blue? as you won't mistake that for gearbox oil...or a golden solour which you might easily.
Cheers,
Mike
2strokejohnny

Post by 2strokejohnny »

so it is,must be eyes going lol,2sj
where is stockton on tees anyway?

Haggler wrote:
spanner wrote:Hi All,

The clue is in the first paragraph TSJ !!Welcome aboard I myself come from that neck of the woods although not bin livin there for a good while
Suzuki GT750B
Suzuki GT750K
Triumph T100 Unit Bonny
Haggler

Post by Haggler »

Just next door to Middlesbrough, and about 30 miles sarth o Newcastle
mark.read3

Post by mark.read3 »

2strokejohnny wrote:why don't new members put their location up ?
Beats me 2sj , think i'll try and "bump" my new and existing post to the top and see if it helps.
spanner
Location: stockton-on -tees, near middlesbrough, north east england

Post by spanner »

thanks for the welcome guys,

barrels came of today, surprisingly easy, had heard a few horror stories about them being seized on.
pistons / bores look good so i might have a beer or two tonight to celebrate.
have added location to my profile for the benefit of the easily confused!
thanks "yeadon" but due to not knowing how oil pump was working i ran it pre mix just to see if it would start / run, oil tank dry, oil pump rod not connected to carbs,
when i took the exhaust pipes off the right pipe had a substantial amount of "clean" oil still inside the other three quite a bit of watery black oil.
anyway the strip is on, crankcases split tomorrow hopefully, any ideas how much i should be paying for crank rebuild? and any recommendations for crank builders

one more, fitted boyer brandson ignition and it only happened once but when i turned the ignition switch on, BIG bang followed by smoke wafting out of left exhaust pipe (assuming triggered a release of stored electrical charge and ignited unburnt fuel) any body experienced this? have i done something wrong?

once again thanks