Accent Electronic Ignition on a GT550A

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Laurence

Re: Accent Electronic Ignition on a GT550A

Post by Laurence »

Hi All

Do you thing I should proceed with the top end strip ?

Cheers
Laurence
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Personally, I would. It isn't a difficult or long job and will eliminate any possible causes from the top end. The cold compressions are decent but that doesn't necessarily mean all is good when the engine is hot and under load.
Kettletimes3

Post by Kettletimes3 »

I know you have had the carbs off,
And I’m assuming you checked theatre the floats have no holes in them.
Laurence

Post by Laurence »

Hi Guys

I decided that before I started to strip the top end I would have a go at fitting the old contact breaker points that came with the bike when I purchased it as a non runner 15 or so years ago ( the bike was a total mess originally and had loads of missing parts ) I had never used these as they were just taken off the bike to rebuild the engine and I then subsequently fitted the Accent system .
I did not want to spend a lot of money as this may or not prove that the electronic ignition was still faulty . So I cleaned and checked the points over but after running checks found that the condensers may be faulty so I got a pattern set from Wemoto at £7.50 each.
Tried a test run on the bench this morning and low and behold the bike started and runs normally on all cylinders . It would also run at near tickover speed although needs some adjustments .

I am so happy that I have found what the problem is as it has been so frustrating over the last 6 months .
So it looks like there must still be a fault with the electronic ignition , so it was more than the Hall sensor that had packed up.

I have sent an E mail to Uwe at Accent explaining this to see what he suggests .

Obviously it depends on what Uwe says , but I think I would prefer to stick with electronic ignition . If I have to buy a new set up should I stick with Accent or try the Boyer system what are the forums experiences on other systems .

As always thanks for all the advice on this forum.

Cheers
Laurence
Laurence

Post by Laurence »

Hi All

Just had a reply from Uwe . He said I could return it to him for repair or contact Nick from the kettle club in the Uk .

Is Nick a member of this forum I wonder ?

Cheers
Laurence
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Laurence wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:10 pm contact Nick from the kettle club in the Uk .
Well, I reckon the names a giveaway - perhaps....... :roll:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Optedout

Post by Optedout »

Alan H wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:21 pm
Laurence wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:10 pm contact Nick from the kettle club in the Uk .
Well, I reckon the names a giveaway - perhaps....... :roll:
I was wondering who would be first to reply!
Maybe a reasonable question from someone who doesn’t know the history?
:tw
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Nick's a nice guy who would definitely help someone in need, I have his contact details if you need them, you may have to join the kettle club though ;)
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
asco58

Post by asco58 »

I couldn't be sure of the exact reason your Accent ignition stopped working but I had the thought that it could be worth checking what kind of voltage your charging system is delivering just in case there's voltages that exceed the ignition's voltage rating.
teazer

Post by teazer »

You might ask UWE to check it electronically and also test it on a test jig to confirm that all thee modules are grounding the coils completely and at the same time.

If he can't test the system dynamically see if someone can do that locally. I use a 20,000 rpm router with variable speed to run ignitions on the test jig but all I check is timing and spark intensity. A scope might be a useful addition for my test jig but someone like Electrexworld have that capability in your part of the world. Rex's speed shop might also.

You should test it with your coil pack as well as a new set of coils.

If the problem comes and goes, it may be a failing electronic component on the Accent or may just be a bad connection in the loom. Remove pins for both sides of the connector and check and clean them.

You might also want to check voltage as previously suggested because too low or too high could cause issues.