End bung

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Mr Bonehead

End bung

Post by Mr Bonehead »

Hi ,just got the engine back in and running after crank refurb and found the end bung no 2 on thé schematic or no 9 on the second one below ,is it a full strip down again or can i leave it out? Not sure which one it is ,I only do about 250 miles a year 🤔cheers MrB
Attachments
B3A4DF15-E65B-4B3E-B80D-1493F0805261.jpeg
DCA5C881-DFB3-4062-9F1A-11B19AB8CFD6.jpeg
teazer

Re: End bung

Post by teazer »

No2 is the end of the kickstart shaft and doesn't look like it's that big of a deal, BUT the oil pump gear rotates around that shaft on a street bike and it runs all the time, so I would not feel comfortable leaving that out.

N09 is at the closed end of the input shaft which is covered by an end cap, so again, it doesn't sound like it's important but any oil that leaks out of the shaft will simply run back through that shaft bearing and will fail to lubricate the rotating gears.

How critical are they in the real world? I haven't run a motor without them so can't say. If all 250 miles are done in short runs, you might have no issues, but I wouldn't want to try a run across say France worrying about what might go wrong miles from home.

Having bought a bunch of NOS transmission parts recently and about to send a bunch of gears out to be have the dogs repaired, all I can say is that if a gear starts to stick to its shaft, it could get to be very expensive very fast. That said, Nova in the UK sells complete GT750 transmissions so you would have options. If your pockets are deep, take the risk, if not, try to minimize risk and drag that heavy lump back out again.

Baz has built and repaired more of these motors than I have and maybe he can add something concrete from his experience.
Mr Bonehead

Re: End bung

Post by Mr Bonehead »

Hi Teazer,thanks for the reply,I've seen a few people on various forums asking what these bungs are as they've found them in the bottom of the engine when doing work ,looks like a bit of a common fault and I wonder how many are riding around totally oblivious to the fact they're not in? There must be oil being flung around pall over in there so unless I'm planning a trip down to China I might leave it for the time being,the GT is my Sunday trip to the local boulangerie for a fresh baquette on a warm summer's morning so should be okay fingers crossed.
Cheers again MrB
PS spares from the UK to france now are silly postage and import tax,it's either the Netherlands or Germany now because of brexit