Exhaust decoke….

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
didge

Exhaust decoke….

Post by didge »

I’ve currently got my pipes off and thought while they’re off I’d decoke them.

It’s a two part question, firstly, should I even bother,

And secondly, if I do do it, what would I put in them that WASN’T caustic soda.
didge

Re: Exhaust decoke….

Post by didge »

I’m imagining I’m the only Dick to decoke his pipes. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have a nice Christmas ya all. :) (Even Al :lol: 8-) )
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

didge wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:21 pm I’ve currently got my pipes off and thought while they’re off I’d decoke them.
Good idea.
It’s a two part question, firstly, should I even bother,
Yes
And secondly, if I do do it, what would I put in them that WASN’T caustic soda.
Stand them up and squirt some petrol down the pipes (all baffles removed).
Light the bottom bit, or get one of your lackeys in the shop to do it - less chance of you getting hurt then.
Let the flames do their work and tap the outside of the pipes to loosen any crap still in there.
That method works for me, but I must admit, I've not needed to do it after a full rebuild was completed.
didge wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:32 pm I’m imagining I’m the only Dick to decoke his pipes. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Have a nice Christmas ya all. :)
(Even Al :lol: 8-) )
Thanks.....Richard!! ;) :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
teazer

Post by teazer »

Find a radiator or engine rebuilder with a hot tank of caustic Soda and have them dip the pipes. And make sure they are well flushed out after.
badgereng

Post by badgereng »

Hi Didge, apologies if I’m a bit late to the party but here’s what I did for my 380 pipes. Very much along similar lines to the other guys and it’s worked very well.

- Removed baffles
- Left stood vertical on cardboard for approx 6 weeks (hardly a drop of oil came out)
- Bought a couple of large test tube rubber bungs off Amazon to plug the pipes and some smaller silicone ones to plug the oil drain holes. I then used dowty washers to seal the studs for the exhaust mounting brackets
- The pipes then got fed some petrol and the last bung inserted
- Did my best Tom Cruise cocktail shaking impression for a minute or two and then drained the contents into an old plastic washing up bowl
- Resecured the bungs and filled the pipes with caustic soda & water and left for 48 hrs before emptying and rinsing

When the petrol had evaporated out of the bowl, there was over half a litre of oil left. This was poured into container and recycled at my local tip.

The chromers were very complimentary on the cleanliness of the pipes so I guess it was worth the effort.