Fully charged battery won't turn the starter motor

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
raysunners

Re: Fully charged battery won't turn the starter motor

Post by raysunners »

Dutch wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:21 pm
raysunners wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:06 pm
Dutch wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:34 pm Thanks Slosher

Just googled Motobatt batteries and read you should never leave them on charge all the time, only when they drop below 12.2v should you recharge it. When I get home after a ride I always plug it back into the optimate, but maybe this is a mistake as the voltage would probably be near 13.0v I assume after a ride
Hi Jeff, I bought two motobatt batteries one for each bike, both have failed after two years, they where connected to smart chargers when not in use, both back on lead acid batteries now, got over six years from my last lead one
Thanks Ray

Your message appeared after I posted mine and was considering a lead one and may still get one, they are handy as a spare especially for experimental purposes like today. I could have charged the spare up and proved it was the battery at fault straight away.

Happy New year Ray
And thanks for your input
Happy new year to you as well Jeff, hopefully you are sorted with new battery
slosher

Post by slosher »

[quote=Dutch post_id=108327

My motobat battery is showing 13.8v after being connected to the mains
[/quote]
Jeff what was it showing without being connected to the mains on a multimeter mate generally all three of my Motobatts show 12.6v - 12.7v and turn over happilyTestyour battery without connecting to mains and post results would you pal.

Cheers Dave
Last edited by slosher on Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
malky

Post by malky »

Got a new one on my kettle and it spins over very slowly to start with then gets quicker and quicker - I think the starter motor needs new brushes fitting - job for the weekend
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

slosher wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:52 pm [quote=Dutch post_id=108327

My motobat battery is showing 13.8v after being connected to the mains
Jeff what was it showing without being connected to the mains on a multimeter mate generally all three of my Motobatts show 12.6v - 12.7v and turn over happilyTestyour battery without connecting to mains and post results would you pal.

Cheers Dave
[/quote]

OK Dave I'll leave it off charge and let you know the voltage tomorrow.

Jeff
GT750A
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Hi Dave, last night when I disconnected it from the charger it was 12.79v and this morning its 12.88v!!! and still barley turns the engine over.

Jeff
GT750A
malky

Post by malky »

Dutch wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:45 am Hi Dave, last night when I disconnected it from the charger it was 12.79v and this morning its 12.88v!!! and still barley turns the engine over.

Jeff
Sounds like your starter motor needs a bit of tlc Jeff

Mal.
slosher

Post by slosher »

Dutch wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:45 am Hi Dave, last night when I disconnected it from the charger it was 12.79v and this morning its 12.88v!!! and still barley turns the engine over.

Jeff
Hmm that's interesting Jeff that should be spinning over nicely :o
Thinking it may be other issues there mate
I'm no expert with electrics Jeff but we know someone who is doh we Alan H ;)
As i say Jeff mines fly's over at 12.6v :?

Cheers Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
oldbiker

Post by oldbiker »

For what its worth I have 4 of these motobatts.
I have just checked the gt750 (kettle) and its bat voltage without being on charge for 3+ weeks is 12.68v. It was able to turn the engine over fine.
The other batts have voltages of 12.8,12.7, and 12.45. All turn their engines over fine - with exception of the 650 yamaha which is showing signs of needing a new bat. But it needs a lot more grunt to turn the 650 twin over. All Bats are at least 3+ years old, a couple must be 5+.

They do seem to last longer than the normal lead acid..... but are more expensive.

You can always test the bike by connecting another battery (leisure or car) in parallel and see if it cures the fault.
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Thanks guys,

A new battery is on order now so we'll soon find out if there are other issues. I had a spare car battery off my Land Rover Freelander in the garage for ages and gave it to a friend!! doh wish I'd kept it now

Is there any other checks I can do whilst waiting for my new battery? I'm no wizard though on electrics apart from my trusted multimeter

Jeff
GT750A
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

oldbiker wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:24 pm I have just checked the gt750 (kettle) and its bat voltage without being on charge for 3+ weeks is 12.68v.
So whats the voltage reading when you decide to recharge Old Biker because I'm obviously doing something wrong, which is why my Motobatts have failed because they are connected to the charger permanently when the bike is parked in the garage
GT750A