Barrel removal

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
graciesdadpaul

Barrel removal

Post by graciesdadpaul »

Hi all,

I need to replace the crank seals on my J model. Im having a hell of a time trying to get the barrels of despite making up a plate so im thinking I need to take it to someone who knows what they are doing rather than
potentially bugger it up. I've seen that JMC restorations in stockton on tees offer this service but im in Buckinghamshire and don't fancy lugging the engine to the other end of the country. Does anyone know if this service is offered by anyone in the south east of England?
teazer

Re: Barrel removal

Post by teazer »

Is the block lifting at all? When the studs weld themselves to the block, it take heat, force and patience with emphasis on the last.

The usual trick is to fill the stud "tunnels" with penetrating oil and leave that for a few days. A propane torch helps to heat the block to expand away from the studs allowing the penetrant to seep down little by little.

Once it starts to lift, stop and loosen the lifting bolts and bang the barrels back down with a large rubber mallet. RInse and repeat. The repeated up and down motion breaks the crud loose and usually helps them to break free. But it can take hours or even days of work.

I don't know where you are in relation to Baz, but he is probably the best bet.
graciesdadpaul

Post by graciesdadpaul »

yes its lifted about 1/8 of an inch but will not move any more. i had the stud holes filled with oil for a few weeks and ive heated it with a torch too. I had the same thought and tried knocking it back down with a mallet and a small club hammer using wooden blocks to protect the head and it will not move either way. Im thinking about cutting the stud, but im worried about marring the mating surfaces. So frustrating!
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

I know this is 99% likely to be a stupid question but have you removed the bolt that holds the base of the barrels just to the left of number three pot?
teazer

Post by teazer »

Good question Mr C.

If it lifted at all, is it cocked to one side, even slightly? That will jam it in place. It has to rise and drop dead square.

Does the crank rotate ie is it "just" stuck on the studs or is it also seized up? If the pistons are stuck to the bores, they can often be loosed with more penetrating oil. Worse case scenario, they can be drilled out of teh barrels. Messy but it works.
graciesdadpaul

Post by graciesdadpaul »

Hi, yes it has risen unevenly as it was loose on one side but the engine isn't seized at all and it only slightly tilted. I just need to find someone local to me to get it off!
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

I take it my question was too stupid to answer :lol: :lol:
Optedout

Post by Optedout »

graciesdadpaul wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:28 pm Hi, yes it has risen unevenly as it was loose on one side but the engine isn't seized at all and it only slightly tilted. I just need to find someone local to me to get it off!
Baz is only a couple of hours from you at most and he has done more of these than anyone.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

canaletto5 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:34 pm I take it my question was too stupid to answer :lol: :lol:
:roll:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
teazer

Post by teazer »

You need a BFH and slab of wood to beat that block back down square and then have at it again.

You could also use a large rubber mallet but a small sledge hammer applied vigorously to a 4x2 should do the job. Don't miss the wood but try to miss all your fingers.