Gt550b 1977 timing problems again grrrr

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Frankibaby7

Gt550b 1977 timing problems again grrrr

Post by Frankibaby7 »

:roll: hi guys yes it’s me again and a happy new year to all members even alan H lol :D , I’ve tried getting this timing right and can I no , it allways runs but not well, now I looked on a thread, and it said set the points on a anti-clockwise way instead of the engine roatation which I’ve done , a lot of help from the asaid AlanH , for the left points to open just as the propeller is arriving, I’ve done that and took up any movement on the back plate, did the same for the centre then the right ,and yes only moved their separate small back plates , all seems good 14thou on all points , it starts ok but won’t rev on untill reved hard , can the cam wear on the crankshaft,at all changing the timing slightly,or shall I go down the electronic timing accent route, carbs are quite new from baz, new coils, new points and condensors , new air filters , any ideas guys please. :o :roll: :lol:
Frankibaby :lol:
slosher

Re: Gt550b 1977 timing problems again grrrr

Post by slosher »

Frankie at our tender age go electronic :lol: :lol: that'll upset Alan :o
Finished with points on my 550 21yrs ago i got that pi--ed off trying to set the timing i decided and bunged a Boyer on and never looked back ;)

Cheers Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
Frankibaby7

Post by Frankibaby7 »

:D thanks dave yes indeed , I want to ride the bloody thing this year if possible, I’m not very electrical minded, engine wise I’m ok , I no AlanH swears by his blooming points , are these electronic points easy to fit for a twit like me sir , cheers mate
Frank. :lol:
slosher

Post by slosher »

Frankibaby7 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:20 pm , are these electronic points easy to fit for a twit like me sir , cheers mate
Very easy Frankie fitted a Boyer on the Gt550,a Accent on the GT750 and a Pazon on the T140v
I'm electronically dyslexic so if i can fit them anyone can :lol:
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Gawd, I can see anuvver trek darn sarf in the near fewcher (innit?!?!) :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Frankibaby7

Post by Frankibaby7 »

Cheers dave , and Alan I’ll give you a big kiss if you could , I no it’s a long way , but I’ll pay your petrol young man :o
How much :lol: no it’s bloody annoying alan coz I want to use the bloody thing grrrrr , ha ha ha :roll: :lol:
2strokejohnny

Post by 2strokejohnny »

I fitted the accent electronic on GT550b took minutes to fit and i'm no expert , when ordering just make sure you tell them your exact model,John
Suzuki GT750B
Suzuki GT750K
Triumph T100 Unit Bonny
Frankibaby7

Post by Frankibaby7 »

:D wow really John that easy , surley you have to time this ignition system , never delt with them so a bit hesitant to rip out the points John ha ha :lol: :roll: cheers mate
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

I think before ripping out the ignition you might want to check the fuel supply and the carbs themselves. The symptoms sound like bogging which could be fuel flow problems or maybe carb set up.
Frankibaby7

Post by Frankibaby7 »

Yes thankyou kind sir , the carbs were done by baz not that long ago , but I did remember, before putting the bike away, when I was at the light it started too labour to pull away , for some reason I opened the gas tank and it picked up quicker than it had done so mayb a air vent problem as well sir :roll: :shock: :?