Boyer Branson electronic ignition gt 550 b

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Frankibaby7

Boyer Branson electronic ignition gt 550 b

Post by Frankibaby7 »

:tw Come on guys how hard is it to fit , :roll: my bike still. Runs but not good , can’t bring myself to discard the
Points and condensors boo hoo :cry: :oops: , how easy or hard is it to fit guys , do you need a lot of wire to connect, I’m not brilliant at electrics :lol: :shock:
Cheers :roll:
9FD86568-B727-45BC-84BA-3AC98C52B9EC.jpeg
Attachments
8B7C8FF0-A9B0-4315-883F-4090E657957E.jpeg
Frankibaby :lol:
teazer

Re: Boyer Branson electronic ignition gt 550 b

Post by teazer »

Think of those simple electronic ignitions as nothing more than electronic points. That's what they are. No fancy 2 step or rev limiters or programmable timing stuff. They simply break the circuit and cause the plugs to fire.

Some have an additional power lead and some have a ground (earth) lead but that's about the size of it. In the case of Boyer or Newtronics, there's a separate "black box" where say an Accent has that one the pickup plate and that adds a few wires but it should come with a wiring diagram and should be easy as falling off a log to wire it in.

Points were invented over 100 years ago and while they still work, they are a PIA. Another thing to look at, it to fit a relay to get full power to your coils. That will often make a big difference. By the time those poor overworked electrons finally get to the coils and down to the points, they had to travel through the old main switch and the handle bar kill switch and a lot of them just don't make it all the way. A relay allows fresh young vigorous electrons to arrive at the ignition system and add new life to the fire.

Speaking of fire, don't forget to add a fuse to the relay circuit - just in case.
Frankibaby7

Post by Frankibaby7 »

:D wow teazer that’s excellent I hear what you say , but where do I put the relay , I no a silly question, but electrics just isn’t my thing , taking engines apart is lol , many thanks for your help , need to hear my little 550 ping ping again lol :D :lol: :oops:
1C84EC17-2CE1-4BB6-9308-F7E7EB713479.jpeg
teazer

Post by teazer »

Basically what you do is to bypass the ignition and run/off switches so that they only carry a small amount of power to trigger the relay. And you have a fused cable from battery to relay and to the coils. viewtopic.php?t=4269 was started by Baz with lots of input from others.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Well, I have 2x GT550s, a late Hippo and a GS750 all on points.
They start & run fine and easy to set up. Suzuki knew what they were doing when they designed a bike in the 70s.
None of this electronickery stuff!!! Just remember that points get you home if one set 'fails', electronics - make sure you've got AA membership, 'cos you're going nowhere unless you shove it.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
teazer

Post by teazer »

I like the simplicity, but points do fail and so do condensers. I have had both happen, but to Alan's point, they are very early 20th century technology which works for a while and that's fine for people that want them. I have boxes of points on backing plates that I could never bring myself to use on a bike I want to ride, or even on a museum piece if it comes to that but each to their own.

The relay mod is a good idea even for points.
Frankibaby7

Post by Frankibaby7 »

:roll: wow thanks guys I appreciate the help as always and I’ve seen the relay to help the low voltage problem to the plugs ,I will have a go at it without the relay , if I do get that problem , I will look at going g down the relay road , but thanks guys , I would like to ride the bloody thing. Instead of looking at it :lol: , :roll: cheers .