Tire recommendations

You can chat about anything you like here
TNWillie

Tire recommendations

Post by TNWillie »

I am ashamed to admit that the Michelin Macadam tires that I bought for my 750 have to be replaced before putting more than 100 miles on them. I looked at the date stamp today and discovered they were made in '04. Amazing how quickly time has passed since buying those tires.
So, I thought I'd start a thread to ask other 750 owners what tires they have become fans of. Ideally, value adhesion over longevity but am not interested in a pair of race only tires. That said, what do YOU recommend?
2strokejohnny

Re: Tire recommendations

Post by 2strokejohnny »

avon roadriders on my gt750, had these on all my gt's.John
Suzuki GT750B
Suzuki GT750K
Triumph T100 Unit Bonny
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Avons on the 750s and Dunlop Streetsmarts on the 550s. All grippy and last ok. My personal choice is Dunlops - the 750s had Avons on when I bought them.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Bridgestone BT46, best all round tyres for any classic 8-)
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
senicoli

Post by senicoli »

PaulD738 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:27 am Bridgestone BT46, best all round tyres for any classic 8-)
what paul said :)
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

All right Paul, how many mirrors did you buy off Colin so that he agreed with you? :shock:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
TNWillie

Post by TNWillie »

Thanks guys, especially for being so quick to respond. Fwiw, I've tried a number of brands in my 50 yrs or so of motorcycling. I liked Michelin until I discovered Dunlops. Went through countless sets of Dunlops until Shinko entered my life. That's what I've been running on my GS1100's. I'm going to see if they make a tube type tire that appeals to me. If not, I'll be going with a brand recommended here.
Ride safe, have a great weekend and thanks again.
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Alan H wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:33 pm All right Paul, how many mirrors did you buy off Colin so that he agreed with you? :shock:
One set off Colin and one from his south Asian outlet 8-)
Besides you only buy street smart arses because they’re cheap :tw
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
TNWillie

Post by TNWillie »

I thought I'd post a followup after talking with the tech rep at Shinko about my situation. When I told the guy I was looking for Shinko tires for a Suzuki GT750, his response was, "Oh! A triple!". That impressed the hell outa me that he'd even have a clue what the GT750 was. I went on to explain that I was a fan of Shinko tires but had a set of Michelins on my Buffalo that still had the whiskers on them but a manufacture date of 2007. He responded that IF the tires had been stored properly, they were probably still fine. That surprised me and I told him that they'd always been inside a garage and had, probably, less than 10 hrs exposure to the sun. He said that, if it were him, he'd still use them. Thought someone reading this might be interested in this info.
Unfortunately, Shinko does not offer a suitable tire in the sizes the GT750 requires. Having given this whole matter some more thought, I think the peace of mind new tires would give me when I am setting up for a sharp, decreasing radius turn, would be worth the expense of buying new tires regardless of what the tech rep said.
The End
zapo

Post by zapo »

I worked for 39 years in the tyre manufacturing industry before retirement.
Seventeen year old tyres are not safe.
Last edited by zapo on Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had two stroke's and survived.