Kettle engine rebuild

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
Alan H

Re: Kettle engine rebuild

Post by Alan H »

Ah well, I reread Canneloni's original post and noted that it was for a 750 hippo and not the greyhound 550, so no.
I was hoping nobody would comment, but you've found me out...... :oops:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Dutch wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:42 pm
Alan H wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:49 am Pity you didn't let me know, I've 'several' spare gearboxes bud.
Hi Alan, have you got a good 4th gear for me? Mine whines when in 4th

Cheers Jeff
Alan whines no matter which gear he's in ;)
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
teazer

Post by teazer »

Hi Alan, have you got a good 4th gear for me? Mine whines when in 4th
That's less common than worn and rounded dogs. Was it run low on oil at some point in the past? 4th gear remained the same ratio across all GT750 years of production as well as GS750 and 1100 so it probably wasn't just a wrong gear fitted sometime in the past. If it used to jump out of gear a selector fork might be slightly bent causing 4th gear drive to rub against 1st gear driven. There are a number of possible causes and swapping either the drive or driven gears might not be the solution.

If you were a tight arsed Yorkie you might want to consider the usual fixes such as sawdust, thick oil or grease. Anyone south of there would consider stripping and inspecting the transmission to determine what is actually wrong. It might be as simple as a set of gear teeth with brinelling (indentations caused by softer material under the hard outer skin becoming compressed). In that case you need both gears - drive and driven and the second gear drive has to be pressed off and carefully pressed on and loctited in position.
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Alan H wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:33 pm Ah well, I reread Canneloni's original post and noted that it was for a 750 hippo and not the greyhound 550, so no.
I was hoping nobody would comment, but you've found me out...... :oops:
Well you've let me down badly Alan :? thanks anyway
teazer wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:41 pm
That's less common than worn and rounded dogs. Was it run low on oil at some point in the past? 4th gear remained the same ratio across all GT750 years of production as well as GS750 and 1100 so it probably wasn't just a wrong gear fitted sometime in the past. If it used to jump out of gear a selector fork might be slightly bent causing 4th gear drive to rub against 1st gear driven. There are a number of possible causes and swapping either the drive or driven gears might not be the solution.

If you were a tight arsed Yorkie you might want to consider the usual fixes such as sawdust, thick oil or grease. Anyone south of there would consider stripping and inspecting the transmission to determine what is actually wrong. It might be as simple as a set of gear teeth with brinelling (indentations caused by softer material under the hard outer skin becoming compressed). In that case you need both gears - drive and driven and the second gear drive has to be pressed off and carefully pressed on and loctited in position.
[/quote

I've owned the bike since 2011 Teazer but only rode it once before I stripped it down for a complete restoration and I can't remember if the whine in 4th gear was present then or not.

The engine was rebuilt by Baz who did a superb job on it and its never missed a beat since apart from a minor issue with the woodruff key on the starter clutch which was promptly fixed by him. The gearbox is faultless apart from the 4th gear whine and I've got used to it now but it still niggles me and would love to get it sorted one day.

It has never run low on oil as long as I have owned it and has never ever jumped out of gear

Thanks for your comments Teazer
GT750A
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Alan is accidentally right. The 4th gear set on the 550 is identical to the 750 and can be interchanged with no issues. Kev
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

I knew that :roll: but just wanted you to feel better...... :tw
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Also decided to fit a fresh set of barrels with a once over rebore and nice shiny new top end components
My kettle engine barrels.jpg
After 40 minutes cursing, trapped fingers and obsessive checking and rechecking the rings were going in as they should, job done. Time for a cup of tea.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Top end rebuilt and carbs refitted.
My kettle engine top end.jpg
Fired her up briedly this morning to check the basics are right. Bloody noisy without the pipes so I'm on the naughty step (again)

But all good :)
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

All back together and run up . Seems fine. I'll be fitting the tank tomorrow so hopefully get some road time in weather permitting.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Gents

I'm about to refill the cooling system. How much "Bars Leaks" should I add ? Also, has anyone used Wynne's Stop Leak and if so, how much of that did you add?

Cheers!

Kev