Water pump cover question

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
TNWillie

Water pump cover question

Post by TNWillie »

I have a couple questions about the water pump cover. Mine has been leaking drops for years and, being the procrastinator that I am, I haven't messed with it. All that changed though when I decided to address every little item that I've put off too long. So, with regard to the cover, for the life of me, I can't imagine how there could be a vent hole in the cover but may have a better idea when/if I remove it this weekend. I can only get so good a look at it while laying on my back but have to wonder if the hole I'm seeing is for ease of removal of the cover or the vent that I've read about? If its for removal, do I simply put a drift pin in there and pry it off or is there a better method? Thanks in advance for any help with this.
Pump cover with arrow.jpg
canaletto5

Re: Water pump cover question

Post by canaletto5 »

It is a vent hole, there is a corresponding hole in the crankcase. The cover needs to be shifted by tapping it all around with a hide or plastic mallet until it loosens off. Kev
TNWillie

Post by TNWillie »

Thanks Kev. Just the info I was looking for.
Have a great weekend!
slosher

Post by slosher »

Isn't that vent hole the oil bypass to allow the oil not to mix with the water if the oil seal on the shaft decides to fail :?
Mine leaks a little oil from there when stood over winter but appears to be ok when used again like TNWillie i got to address it at sometime :roll:

Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
TNWillie

Post by TNWillie »

Only coolant comes out of mine. I've decided to determine IF its the source of my coolant leak vs a leaky gasket and how much is leaking from there, if it is. I'm doing this by covering the hole with silicone, running the motor for awhile and then examining the surrounding area for leaking coolant before removing the silicone to see how much coolant comes out. Pretty clever, in my opinion. ;)
slosher

Post by slosher »

Hi Willie
If you block that vent you may find oil will mix with water that vent is there for a reason if it's not your gasket leaking then I would drop the water pump out and investigate seal failures

Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
teazer

Post by teazer »

That is indeed the drain or vent outlet. The upper end is between the two O rings around the pump. If the upper oil seal starts to leak, oil will drip from the outlet. If the mechanical (water) seal starts to leak, water will drip from the outlet.

The only way that water could work it's way up into the transmission oil is if both seals fail.

The mechanical seal design is still used on most water pumps, but they changed from a stainless steel seat to ceramic on modern seals. Over time, the stainless steel part of the seal wears or the graphite seat cracks.

A minor drip is nothing to get worried about but it may get worse and will necessitate a pump rebuild or replacement.
slosher

Post by slosher »

Thanks Teazer
Great explanation of the physics of the Kettle water pump ;)

Cheers Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
TNWillie

Post by TNWillie »

I thought I'd update this thread since its been awhile since I started it. I'm seeing a couple of drops of coolant, per day, under the bike. This was even with the vent plugged. So, as much as I dread doing so, I've decided to remove the cover and, at the very least, replace the gasket. I can't help but think that I'm going to end up removing the pump assembly too. :(. Stay tuned.
2strokejohnny

Post by 2strokejohnny »

this happened on mine dripped a little but after a year i decided to get it fixed and put a new pump in with help not a drip at all now, probably not the gasket as i also tried that first.John
Suzuki GT750B
Suzuki GT750K
Triumph T100 Unit Bonny