Here you can post a picture of you and your bike. Also where you are located and if you are prepared to give local kettle owners some of your time and experience.Please don't do discussions here just some facts about yourself. This was Glens idea! Thanks BAZ
750ynot

Re: newbie

Post by 750ynot »

Optedout wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:20 pm
750ynot wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:13 pm Thanks for the welcome, I already love it, its a dream come true for me, I expect problems, its 46 years old after all, everything is fixable anyway, I am used to old 2T's, mainly RD's, but many a Suzuki too, I have had a A50P X3, GT185, X5 2 of, X7 2 of, GT380, all a long time ago, Except the X5, one in the eighties and one recently, moved on to 4T's for a while but back to my true love of 2T's now, I take a bike for what it is, if it surges, it surges, depends how bad, but just a quirk of the bike by the sound of it, all part of the fun to me, someone has fitted electronic iggy, may go back to points, nothing wrong with points unless your revving high, and these don't rev high enough to warrant fitting IMHO, anyway I am looking forward to the ride in all ways :D
They do vary but Baz can help you to minimise it and make it very enjoyable to ride. ;)

Maybe a previous owner has already solved it, who knows, time will tell, I haven't noticed any surging "yet" I have only ridden it about 10 miles, and up to about 50 so far round my little town and down the dual carriageway, praying for weather to warm up a bit before I venture further afield.

Tony
Tony
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Welcome Tony

I've found surging tends to happen when the engine is well warmed through after about 20 or 30 miles of running. Check the tickover once it is thoroughly warm. Mine was running at about 1300 so when I knocked it back to about a 1000 the surging problem virtually disappeared.Kev
750ynot

Post by 750ynot »

canaletto5 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:57 pm Welcome Tony

I've found surging tends to happen when the engine is well warmed through after about 20 or 30 miles of running. Check the tickover once it is thoroughly warm. Mine was running at about 1300 so when I knocked it back to about a 1000 the surging problem virtually disappeared.Kev

Thank you for that Kev, I will check next chance I get to go out on it and do as you suggest if I notice any surging.

Tony
Tony
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Best way to stop the surging is to fit early carbs and ditch the linked vacuum set. Ask Baz about that 'mod'!
Cheaper method is to turn down the tickover so it 'only just' ticks and make sure they are properly balanced.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
750ynot

Post by 750ynot »

Alan H wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:16 am Best way to stop the surging is to fit early carbs and ditch the linked vacuum set. Ask Baz about that 'mod'!
Cheaper method is to turn down the tickover so it 'only just' ticks and make sure they are properly balanced.

Thank you.

I bought the bike with the intension of keeping it standard, but my 20 years ago self says buy some PWK's and spannies, do some port work and now fit GSXF wheels, O its so easy to go off track aye :lol:

I read about the carbs being basically the same flow rate between the models, a neighbour had 1 a 76 model in 76, never had any problems with it, so could just be to do with setting up as you suggest, I think that will be the 1st check to do anyway, I have a 4 bank set of vacuum gauges, what would be the best tick over rate to set them ? My RF900 has to be at 1750 Rpm to set.

My natural instinct would be to go 4mm bigger, done this plenty of times on RD's with porting and reed valve work too, and the obligatory spannies, always produces good results for me.

Not sure how that would pan out being piston port instead of reed valve.

But I hope I can resist and leave it standard, I don't want to go fast anymore, just enjoy the ride, time will tell.
Tony