DISC LOCK RECOMMENDATION?

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
wardy

DISC LOCK RECOMMENDATION?

Post by wardy »

Hi guys; thinking about a bit of security for my gt380 and gt750...
Can anyone recommend a disc lock to fit please?
both bikes are standard with stock undrilled discs, and need at least 80mm of "clearance" in order for a disc lock to fit.
this is from the disc edge to the first row of holes in the disc.
I can't find one big enough and just wondered if anyone had found something at a reasonable price that would fit. cheers
Andy.
(alternatively, what do other owners use for security for their bikes whilst out for a ride?
i'm ok at home.. i hope!)
Andy;
1976 gt750A; 86 FZ750
1977gt380A
1982 z400j
1981 z650f.....1988 Sufolk punch 14"
"look;it's my bike; when you own it ,you can paint it any colour you like!"
(I once painted my Z650 PINK and had the pink panther logo on the tailpiece)
stevewharton

Re: DISC LOCK RECOMMENDATION?

Post by stevewharton »

Hi Andy, if you mean a lock that'll allow you to leave your bikes out of your sight, I wouldn't risk using a disc lock. Any skanks that want a bike will simply lift it into a van, along with the lock, so you might as well just use the steering lock.
For a bit more security I carry a quality cable lock, which might take the skanks a bit longer to steal your pride and joy.
However, I've just watched a video of a gang of skanks with a cordless grinder nicking bikes in London, in broad daylight and on a busy Saturday.
Bring back public floggings I say :x
Or carry a sawn off shotgun ;)
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
wardy

Re: DISC LOCK RECOMMENDATION?

Post by wardy »

Thanks Steve!
I know that the best thing is to always have the bike within your sight, and to be honest ,going to the odd bike night that's usually the case.
guess i'm a bit paranoid about my bikes being nicked, having had it happen once to me.( my z650, that i'd owned for 19yrs at that point, being taken from my shed at Easter 1996)
I'd still have that bike now.
i'm gonna buy that sawn-off shotgun!
cheers
Andy
Andy;
1976 gt750A; 86 FZ750
1977gt380A
1982 z400j
1981 z650f.....1988 Sufolk punch 14"
"look;it's my bike; when you own it ,you can paint it any colour you like!"
(I once painted my Z650 PINK and had the pink panther logo on the tailpiece)