GT550 Exhaust Pipes Smoke Question

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Syd

GT550 Exhaust Pipes Smoke Question

Post by Syd »

Hello - After having a problem with the oil pump rotor in the wrong position which I rectified, I started the bike after sitting 6-8 weeks or so and the pipes were smokey as normal on start up for the first 2-4 minutes, however after I travelled around 5-7 kms, there is very little to no smoke when riding with the engine speed working up to 3,500-4,000 rpm as I am still running the engine in. Is this lack of smoke normal for a GT550 when running in? Could the lack of smoke be due to the design of the Sirus valves?

Originally, I had assembled the oil pump wrong with the rotor in the wrong position and it was drowning in oil and smoke which explained the excess smoke and high oil use. The oil pump settings are correct as per the service manual. I would be keen to hear anyone's thoughts on this?
malky

Re: GT550 Exhaust Pipes Smoke Question

Post by malky »

Modern oils don't smoke s much as the stuff we used back in the seventies- both my kettle and t500 smoke when first started but then clear and don't smoke at all until you really open the taps then you will get a bit of a haze
Syd

Re: GT550 Exhaust Pipes Smoke Question

Post by Syd »

Thanks for the info. I am using Castrol ACTIV 2T which is a mineral 2 stroke motorcycle oil which seems to do the trick. I'll keep an eye of how things go after I have finished running the bike in to see how it smokes at higher rpm's