Oil pump question

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
madforitkev

Oil pump question

Post by madforitkev »

On my special (Project X thread), I have been trying to understand the oil pump settings.

I am using throttle bodies (its fuel injected) with an actuator arm that links to the pump, so when the butterflies open to full throttle the oil pump arm moves forward.

I've always set my pump so that with a closed throttle the two line on the arm and body line up ...
pump2.jpg
The question is how important is the fully open position? Does the pump arm need to go right over.....
pump1.jpg
What significance do the dots have on the pump arm?

Clearly I dont want to run it weak but I dont want it to oil up either......

I've read various threads about flow rate testing etc. and some where owners dial back the pumps but without any real reference to how much????
Honest baby....this is probably the cheapest bike I have ever bought!!
astrax

Re: Oil pump question

Post by astrax »

Hi Kev
The oil pump arm only really has 2 positional settings, reduced deliver mode and full delivery, reduced being when on tickover up a few degrees of movement of the arm, which after that it puts the pump in to full delivery

If where the pump is set with the markings lined up, call that 8 o'clock position, once the arm has moved past the 7 - 6 o'clock position it's in full delivery mode, to what you show in the second photo, about 4 0'clock position, it is only the engine speed that increases the amount of oil, not the position of the arm.

I hope that make sense?

So no not important for the arm to move fully open, what you showed in the second photo is more than fine.
It just needs the pump centre to move off the small cam on the shaft.
Image from Pinkposson shows the cam
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Ian,

Got it. Thanks. Makes sense.

So in the tickover (throttle closed) I will set it to the line on the arm and the line on the pump (8 O'clock), then anything past 6 O'clock is good as it is fully open then anyway.

That makes my life a lot easier as my throttle bodies are a little large and I am using the throttle controller to reduce butterfly movement (air flow) and its that movement that drives the oil pump.

Cheers buddy. I can do another home dyno run now that I have balanced the bodies and sorted the pump out.
Honest baby....this is probably the cheapest bike I have ever bought!!
astrax

Post by astrax »

madforitkev wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:33 pm Ian,

Got it. Thanks. Makes sense.

So in the tickover (throttle closed) I will set it to the line on the arm and the line on the pump (8 O'clock), then anything past 6 O'clock is good as it is fully open then anyway.
Yes
madforitkev wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:33 pm That makes my life a lot easier as my throttle bodies are a little large and I am using the throttle controller to reduce butterfly movement (air flow) and its that movement that drives the oil pump.

Cheers buddy. I can do another home dyno run now that I have balanced the bodies and sorted the pump out.
Be good to have a look at what it produces, I've not had time to follow post for ages
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

This from Ian Sandy's site is a good read too - https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/GT750_ ... e/page-A57
Proof that four strokes are over complicated