GT750 Project update

You can chat about anything you like here
bod750

GT750 Project update

Post by bod750 »

Hi, some pics to show progress off the GT built up to check everything is working
before being stripped down for finishing over the winter, hopefully be on the road
for Spring.

Everything is working and it's running, just need to balance the carbs and set the timing
accurately. Timing the L/H cylinder is proving difficult as the adjustment on the back plate
is at it's limit and cant get the points to open at the correct position.

Steve
KC3.jpg
KC2.jpg
KC1.jpg
canaletto5

Re: GT750 Project update

Post by canaletto5 »

If you are using aftermarket points they can be a problem when trying to set timing. Also, it is possible the points cam is worn
bod750

Post by bod750 »

Thanks, as far as I know the points are original, but I will check. The bike has 24,000 on the clock and has not been run for at least 30 years until now.

Steve
750ynot

Post by 750ynot »

I don't want to teach you to suck eggs so to speak, but you do know there are 2 movable plates on the back plate don't you, right and centre, you set left 1st as points are fixed to big back plate only, then move the small points movable back plates to move the points on the big back plate, if I am making sense, so effectively 3 adjusters to set points timing, and you are setting points 1st aren't you.

You have one set of points that looks different to the other 2 don't you.

Just in case you didn't know.
Tony
bod750

Post by bod750 »

Hi Tony, yes I was aware, the R/H and Centre points are ok, it is just there is no adjustment left
on the back plate to get the timing spot on. I will post a picture of the points setup and maybe
the eagle eyed members will be able to see if I have done something stupid.

The setup is as when I bought the bike but the previous owner had chucked it down the road
on the points side as the cover was badly damaged and the wiring badly repaired.

Steve
bod750

Post by bod750 »

Well I have been trying to solve the timing issue on the L/H cylinder
the past week, have a good spark, fuel in float bowl, but still did not
want to fire up. Although the back plate was at the end of its adjustment
the timing marks for the ignition were not far off, when checking the spark plug
I noticed there was not any fuel residue showing. I removed the K&N filter, fired it up
put my hand over the carb which drew fuel up from the bowl and the L/H cylinder
chimed in, so more a carburation issue than the timing. Although I stripped and cleaned
the carbs it was about 3 years ago, so I have the carbs now to check them over.

Another issue has reared its ugly head, the bike runs for about a minute max, then completely
shuts down, electrics as well, the main fuse is fine, so I disconnected the battery, reconnected
it and everything is back and working ...for another minute.. then shuts down again.

Any ideas guys.

Steve