Gear Indicators

asco58

Gear Indicators

Post by asco58 »

My gear indicator segments were failing and I wanted to replace it but I after trying the 'universal' ones from eBay, those displays were a bit big and it started playing up after a while. I had a spare complete dud display and with difficulty, I removed the electronics and recovered the metal casing.

I have a few of these small circuit boards which I was able to squeeze in and attach some new wires to and I reused the original grommet, hood and block connector. The display is 0.3" which is very close as the original size if not the same and it has the same connections. Haven't had the one I inserted into the casing in my bike yet but I've had another one with the same circuit board running in my bike for a few hundred miles so far and it seems to be ok and it was visible in the day and I don't find it too bright at night either.

Here's a picture of the new board in the original case, another unfitted unit and what the display looks like in the bike. I thought I'd post something about this because it might be useful to someone and a way to reuse dud displays.
Display02.png
Display03.png
Didlpay_1to5.png
Alan H

Re: Gear Indicators

Post by Alan H »

Nice work. I've found that the after market ones generally don't fit until after a lot of faffing about.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
asco58

Re: Gear Indicators

Post by asco58 »

Thanks. I have a handful more assembled displays if anyone is interested in having a go or wants me to have a go at reusing the casings from failed displays.