And now for summat completely diff'rent....

You can chat about anything you like here
Alan H

Re: And now for summat completely diff'rent....

Post by Alan H »

Now over 600 miles on so booked its 'end of running in' service for the beginning of May before we all go to France. Looking forward to being able to use more than 4500rpm which is an indicated 76mph, but now I've got the sat nav properly mounted, is actually a true 70mph. Seems to be settling at just over 60mpg and a tank range of over 300 miles isn't too bad on the pocket.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Had a couple more decent runs out with Lynn holding the back down - no difference to performance or fuel consumption as she's only tiny - but I have noticed that having the 'square' panniers on loses a couple of mpg. Why they don't do them a bit more aerodynamic isn't logical, and a mate with similar style panniers says the same about his beemer gs1250.
Anyway, 'nipped' through to Cleethorpes yesterday for a chippy run and enjoyed a nice dinner. Went all back wacks route through Maltby, Tickhill, Bawtry, Gainsbro' etc. and came back M180/A1 way. 800 miles on now, so not much to do to get the 'end of running in' 900 up and get the service done so they can reset the engine speed warning lights during the service.
Engine running better and well impressed with handling, braking & general performance, plus average of nearly 60mpg
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Had the bike serviced last week with 909 miles on, & picked up last thursday. Nipped up the M1 & M62 to Squires for a pie & coffee & checked the clock next day - 1000 miles! Runs, handles & stops very well & I'm well impressed. I suppose I ought to clean it before we go to Caen on it in a week or three.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

After a week in Normandy 'doing' the landing beaches & WW2 museums with Baz, John, Richard, Mick and all the better halves - plus quite a good run out yesterday, 1900 miles on now and running well.
'Sport' mode really does make a difference, so I think 'strada' will be the default setting! 8-)
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Alan H wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:46 pm
PaulD738 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:55 am I thought you wanted a lighter bike? :roll:
It is.
And will be called 'Izzy' because the reg. suffix is 'WSY'. So there! 8-)
Our new cars reg' is FV23WNY, so it's now known as Winney, I know :roll: The best car reg' I've had was AG04RNY, a combination of AGOstini and ARNY Schwarzenegger, but my best reg' ever is on my kettle, FAB738S, it's even got the engine size in it ;)
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Latest run out here - https://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/ ... hp?t=14061
Handling is excellent, and the front end Brembos are fantastic. As it only revs to 7k, torque happens very quickly despite only being 80hp or so, as a mate on a new Triumph Trident realised.
Mind you, I started on bike (motorised versions!) in 1967, so I do have a bit of experience !.!.!.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

In the meantime, the Guzzi tax runs out today, so will be sorned until about March next year. I'll be looking for cheaper insurance as well....
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Well, I've had Izzy 12 months now, so the insurance needs renewing.
Contacted Hastings, my current supplier and they were a similar price to the last 12 months, but I had to increase the mileage from 2500 to 5000 (just in case!!) So that put the cost up over £350. I rang up & got a very polite guy in Jo'burg, South Africa who managed to drop the price for the same policy to £240, then tried Devitts - 'very busy, please wait' - nope. Then Carol Nash, oh dear. Not sure exactly what planet the lady came from, but she wanted me to spell everything phonetically. So I did, US 1940s style (Able, Baker, Charlie, Dog etc., instead of Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta et al). Well if she messed me about, t'was only fair I returned the favour, eh?!
When she asked if my bike was impounded (after 20 minutes or so), I hung up.
Tried again & got another furrin' lady whe's English was at least understandable without the spell check, & eventually quoted £841 and their preferred company is 'Highway'. Robbery, no doubt. I asked her if Carol Nash was an insurance company or a comedy site, then hung up again. Couldn't get through to Bikesure, RHS or Footman James. Peter James who I insure my classics with don't really 'do' modern bikes & suggested £191.73 for 5 months (until my current policy runs out) & which I declined & bought the Hastings one after all.
2 hours phoning which was mainly very frustrating. If these people want business, they need to learn English, have people who know what they are doing & be competitive.
Not too difficult, shirley (FFS!!!) :roll:
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Now then Alan, too late now I guess but I've been with Peter James for about ten years and they insure my classic kettle and my modern Enfield on the same policy for £220, both with 5000 miles a year. The best thing about PJ is, their breakdown cover which is included in the price and is top notch, with proper get you home cover and Europe cover, unlike other companies like the one with the owl logo, who let me down big time when my kettle was poorly away from home.
All the best mate, Steve W.
P.S. Of course you being a lot older than me means you'll have to pay more ;)
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

PJ's breakdown cover is good Steve, as I used it when Hippo's head gasket shat itself when I was on the way to Mike Yeadon's a couple of years ago, but they said that a full year's policy on the Guzzi would be 'about' £600 for a full year - & £191 for 5 months, so I stuck with Hastings.
I have 'several' 550s on the classic policy with them, so total value is high.
Must get the J & B sold asap. :(