Charging failure.

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
garry55

Charging failure.

Post by garry55 »

Hi.
Does anyone know for certain how to wire-in a battery charging failure light?
I am converting my GT750 motor to run with a belt-driven alternator and would like to know if the belt breaks etc during use.
I do not want to run an ammeter or charge condition gauge - just a warning light.
thanks.
Garry.
Garry.

Inside every standard Kettle is a bloody good engine crying for help............... :D
Alan H

Re: Charging failure.

Post by Alan H »

You could slave another relay off the high charge contact (that will be closed when the reg sees low battery voltage) on the regulator, to a low charge bulb or wire a relay to a transistor set to trigger at about 12.5v.
But really, the standard 3 phase alternators are fine if the wiriing from the battery to reg and slip rings is good.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Ah, just noticed the name and now I understand the problem with your project! :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
garry55

Post by garry55 »

Sorted!
Thanks to Chris57 for his recommendation, but I have now sourced a wire-in unit that fits the bill.
Light comes on with the ignition, goes out if the battery is charging correctly. Just what I wanted.

Al - don't let my name put you off..................... :D
Garry.

Inside every standard Kettle is a bloody good engine crying for help............... :D