Electrical failure gt550

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
steppe

Electrical failure gt550

Post by steppe »

Gday gents
A few days ago i took my '76 550 to a meeting on a sunny sunday.
After about 25 miles and at a speed of approx 50 mph, my bike went completely dead on me..
I put myself on the side on the road tru the traffic as good and bad as i could and after the " this could have gone really wrong" feeling was away, i put my key contact off and on and suddenly all power was back.
I continued my ride and the bike behaved the rest of the day (a ride of about 120 miles)
I didn t use it since but nor looked into the problem, so if any of you gents has a clue or some advice, fire away, please..
(My first idea would be looking at the key contact itself, or is there a main relay somewhere?)

Thanks in advance,

Steppe
canaletto5

Re: Electrical failure gt550

Post by canaletto5 »

I suspect the contacts on your ignition switch are either very dirty or worn out. If you have the skills, take it to bits and check or source a replacement. Kev
Kettletimes3

Post by Kettletimes3 »

The keys are quite small and I have seen owners riding these bikes with a bunch of keys attached,It wears the mechanism out.
graseal

Post by graseal »

I had an ignition switch do this, one min it worked then not, took it apart, full of crap, 50yrs worth.
I got a used one, took apart, cleaned and swopped the key mechanism over.

hope thats some help. :D

graham
20230401_163913.jpg
Last edited by graseal on Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm temperamental, 50% temper and 50% mental. :twisted:

Some times I look back at my life, And I am seriously Impressed, I am still a live...