Running in

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
bandit 1

Running in

Post by bandit 1 »

Well the engine is in after the full rebuild new pistons ,rings,rebore ,crank refurbishment ,new seals much the same as every one else the only thing i didnt do was i didnt paint the engine, i have left it matt alli because of the petrol and paint thing, got it running last night and sounds sweet with the allspeed expansions , the only thing to do now is put some miles on it and get it run in the only thing is i cannot find any info on this ie engine rpm , speed and how long for thanks andy.
mark.read3

Re: Running in

Post by mark.read3 »

opinions are going to vary over this one... hers mine.....
nice and easy for first 500 miles up to about 3500 revs about 70mph, dont let the engine struggle in too a high gear.
500 to a 800 ride like most normal people on the road
800 onwards ... ride it like you stole it and had a blue flashing light behind you, wring the nads off it.
didge

Post by didge »

I'm running in mine at the monent, less than a 100 miles so far, hell, it's tedious, under 3500rpm.

The original owners manual says.............

"Initial 100 miles, below 3,500 rpm

up to 500 miles, below 4,000 rpm

up to 1,000 miles below 5,000 rpm

upon reaching an odemeter reading of 1,000 miles you can subject the motorcycle to full throttle operation, do not exceed 7,000 rpm at any time."

It''ll take me all bleeding year to do the 1,000 miles unless I sell everything else with wheels on. !!
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Didge,
You just reminded me of 2007 when I ran in my rebuilt GT380B. Crikey that was dull. Imagine being restricted to 50mph for that length of time. What I did was on one holiday just got up early every day and rode 100+ miles around a varied country road circuit here in Kent so at least I had different things to look at ho hum. A week or so later I was doing a good impression of some teenager trying to blow it up, chin on the clocks, half an eye on the mirrors - nearly got to spec speed down the Thanet Way - once. Was enough with the dodgy handling and the state of my licence!
Enjoy....
MikeY
Kettle-kid

Post by Kettle-kid »

Dont forget lads the owners manual is relating to a complete new engine. Most of us are just running in new pistons and rings not the gear box etc. 2 to 3 hundred steady miles should do it and it is always good to turn up the oil pump to.
didge

Post by didge »

Good point, my pumps already up, but the thought of less miles is encouraging, nice one KK.
bluehazeboy

Post by bluehazeboy »

i remember running my kettle in last year,took me 5 weeks to get up to 1000 miles,the 1st 100 miles were a nightmare, kept getting a leak from the water pump turned out to be a faulty water pump seal,once sorted it was just a case of taking it easy, i got up to 800 miles without no probs, took it up to my mate in norfolk for torquing down ,job done, the ride home was a lot better. but the really annoying bit is that everyone and his wife want to drive on your tail when running in and you just cant go any quicker.still ive got 1400 miles on mine now and every time i put more milage on it it just gets better,in fact ive done more miles on the kettle this year than on my 1200 bandit,
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

If my experiences with the GT380B I rebuilt completely (Jan 2007) is anything to go by, the more miles on it the sweeter it runs. I have about 3000 on the new motor and it is soooo lovely. I do ride it like I stole it, even though it is also pristine and doesn't do rain!
Over 3000 on the GSX1400 now and that is box fresh of course - these monsters eat continents (chaps on the 14 forum have over 100K but they're proper bikers not a hobbyist like me!)
Can't wait to get Kettling again, did 1000 last summer then made the mistake of pulling it apart late Nov 09...still not quite there. Where does all the time go?
Last comment - to KK's point, we are all probably far more cautious about running in that is needed. In fact I read somewhere that gently running in might do more harm than good, need to use the throttle, but always on light load and watch the temperature.
Cheers!
Mike