GS750 rear end - bolt on?

Post here if you are doing anything different
detomaso

GS750 rear end - bolt on?

Post by detomaso »

Hi guys, i'm new to this forum but have been running my GT750J cafe racer for a while whilst picking up more goodies ready to add to it. I brought a Dresda box section swinging arm (supposedly off a GS550) also some Marzochi shocks to suit, Raask rearsets and an Akront rear wheel (with disc/ caliper etc). Stuffed all the bits in the workshop a while back with good intentions. Well the times come! Pulled out the swing arm - it seems longer that the GT? Also scratching scratching my head for ideas for the rear disc. Has anyone on here done similar? Will the chain align or do i need to get spacers made up?

Love the site

Detomaso
BAZ

Re: GS750 rear end - bolt on?

Post by BAZ »

Welcome to the site pal this is not my subject but hopefully someone will be able to help you soon. Cheers BAZ
grand tourer

Post by grand tourer »

Hi Matey

This is a common conversion. Yes the GS 550/750 swingarm is longer than the kettle the favourite here is to modify a standard kettle swing arm to take the GS or GT torque arm which is a very simple welding operation (moving the bracket from the bottom of the swing arm to the top) which enables you to retain the original wheel base dimensions. The GS rear wheel and disc is a straight exchange for the kettle rear drum just drop in and set up your master cylinder of which there are loads of modern master cylinders which will work the rear disc, some of the smaller ones are very discreet and will fit neatly in the oil tank battery box area. There are pics of cylinder installation here
General chat column GS cast wheels - tubeless - question
12 by Oldbeancanopener » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:48 pm .

Andy
detomaso

Post by detomaso »

Thanks Andy that post was useful. I don't really want to use the existing swinging arm and modify it as i've already sourced the Dresda arm. Marzocchi's and Akront rear wheel to suit. Do you or anyone else know if the chain alignment is ok without modification?

I've put the Raask rearsets up to the bike and they're clearly not going to fit easily. I have got a very old set of Mel rearsets to suit the Gt. Seeing that picture of a rear brake cylinder on a bracket has given me an idea. I'm now thinking of adapting the Mel rearset to accept the rear master cylinder off an RGV250. This unit fixes to the rearset body and works off the back of the pedal. Only issue is the RGV (nissin 1/2'') cylinder looks slightly smaller than the original GS cylinder. Hopefully it's powerful enough?
Thanks
Tony
grand tourer

Post by grand tourer »

Hi Tony

Sorry can't help with the chain alignment question as I've only ever been involved with GT/GS parts based conversions, there has never been a better choice of parts for these type of builds than we have currently so you should find some compatable parts quite easily, one of the lads on the forum who do the more radical specials will chip in soon no doubt and advise you accordingly (you have to understand we are not getting any younger and some members may have already gone into winter hibernation)!

Andy
detomaso

Post by detomaso »

Thanks Andy a really helpful post again. I can relate to the comment getting older and the early nights. I've got several bikes and go on several forums. I've only recently discovered this one and it's great,
Regards
Detomasopan
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

detomaso wrote:Thanks Andy a really helpful post again. I can relate to the comment getting older and the early nights. I've got several bikes and go on several forums. I've only recently discovered this one and it's great,
Regards
Detomasopan
Welcome aboard mate,what have you got in the shed? Don't be shy,glad you are enjoying this Forum,good bunch of Lads on here.
Cheers,
Roger.
GT750A.
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
detomaso

Post by detomaso »

Hi Roger i've got a variety of bikes

'72 GT750 - Cafe Racer
'65 BSA Lightning - bitsa, currently siezed!
91 - Suzuki RGV250 - mostly Tyga body work - carbon etc
'76 GT250A in various pieces awaiting some attention!
70's Italjet childrens scrambler
79 GS850 - cafe racer
77 RD250 - in one piece -waiting for some attention

The GT and RGV are my regular rides.

Tony
mark.read3

Post by mark.read3 »

Yep, that lot should keep you busy for some time, welcome aboard mate.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Please let me know how you get on with the GS conversion, I hope to do similar with the 550.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated