Kettle running great

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
mabru

Kettle running great

Post by mabru »

Hi All
Bought my first Kettle about two years ago, it had only two previous owners and the guy I bought it from restored it in 2006.
I have reciepts for this work for over £4000. Its a great bike and I have been continuing with the restoration fitting new shock absorbers, new bolts, fittings and some stainless parts, dispite this when out riding the bike suffered from surging and jerking.
With the help of this great forum I have learnt a lot about my Kettle. As for the surging I have meticiously followed all of the advice on this forum, it has taken a long time and the carbs have been off four times, the up shot is though the bike went back together yesterday and I took it out for a ride today. Wow its fantastic, idles at 1000 rpm, pulls like a train and NO surging, its great and i havent needed to fit the restrictor jets.

Now that is sorted I can make a start on some of the other jobs, like replacing the brake hoses and painting the calipers, but that will have to wait until the winter as I am going to enjoy riding it.

I have put a couple of pictures on taken today afer the ride, enjoy the summer.
Mark

IMG_0605.JPG
Attachments
IMG_0606.JPG
KETTLE BOY

Re: Kettle running great

Post by KETTLE BOY »

Very nice...very nice. Is that a workshop, or a operating therter? it must be new? oh the bikes nice too!!
GT750 J 1972
GT750 L 1974
Z900 A4 1976
ZZR1100. 1998
Breville Sandwich Maker
I'm never wrong.. Once I thought I was, but I was mistaken.

yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Super news Mark - well done to you. For those still suffering surging/bucking, and after 4 x carbs in and out, can you put your finger on what you discovered as most likely cause(s) for your machine?
Cheers,
Mike
mark.read3

Post by mark.read3 »

Stunning bike Mark , looks the absolute tits.
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

Nothing quite like a kettle running and looking great! Well done mate.
didge

Post by didge »

Is that a automatic 400 Honda in the back ground ?

Loverly bike, luverlier workshop, it's cleaner than my kitchen.
kettle738

Post by kettle738 »

As I'm going to have another crack at the surging problem on my bike this winter I would also be keen to know what you think finally solved your problem.

Mick.............kettle738
mabru

Post by mabru »

didge wrote:Is that a automatic 400 Honda in the back ground ?

Loverly bike, luverlier workshop, it's cleaner than my kitchen.
Well spotted Didge, I have had the Honda for about 20 years, I started and ran it last month for the first time in six years, all it needed was a new battery and a oil and filter change.

As for my garage looking clean I blame BAZ, I am sure his carb dvd says you need things clean when reassembling the carbs.

Cheers
Mark
mabru

Post by mabru »

[quote="kettle738"]As I'm going to have another crack at the surging problem on my bike this winter I would also be keen to know what you think finally solved your problem.

Hi Mick

I am not sure that it was any single thing, so here is a list of things i have done that have made a difference. I did buy some restrictor jets but did not want to fit them until I had tried everything else.

1 Although the fuel tank looked nice on the outside there was still a small amount of rust particals inside. So the tank has been cleaned an inline fuel filter fitted and the carbs cleaned again.
2 The carbs had been rebuilt and seemed ok, but on the throttle shafts the V seals were in the wrong way, so I fitted new ones the correct way.
3 One one the carbs had a spacer missing on the throttle shaft, the one that sits inside the spring. It was hardly noticeable but the butter fly sometimes stayed open just a nats knob.
4 Carefull adjustment of the throttle return cable to make sure when you shut the throttle down the butter fly is closing.
5 Accurate synchronisation of the carbs as described in BAZ's dvd.
6 Tried various settings with the air screws, but settled on one turn.
7 Set the idle speed to 1000rpm
It has taken me a long time to sort it out but these are the main points that I think solved the surging.
Good luck
Mark
didge

Post by didge »

I sorted mine out just by dropping the tick over to 1,000 rpm, I couldn't believe it and it's cos of things like that that I love this forum and it's members with their wealth of knowledge.

PS, am I just a little sad recognizing that Honda auto !!