My old bike !

Looking for your old Kettle post registration info here good luck!
kettle738

Re: My old bike !

Post by kettle738 »

I agree that unfortunately this bike is more likely than not, history. That said, in my former trade or calling I had dealings with stolen vehicles and insurance companies, back in the late seventies, and to a much lesser extent later on.

Once a car or bike had been missing for a certain amount of time.......typically about six weeks back then, the insurance company would pay out, demand the log book and keys etc and become the owners of anything subsequently recovered. The manner of recovery would also make a difference, if the police found it on normal patrol, they would likely as not first contact the keeper shown on the Police national computer, the original owner.

If the vehicle was recovered much later, perhaps a raid on a breakers or a known thief where a number of vehicles were involved, unless there were very good reasons to inform the original owner, the insurance company would be informed, they would take possession and just sell it on through their usual channels, it was after all their property. The one person never likely to be informed under those circumstances would be the original owner unless they had made a specific request to the insurers to be advised of any future recovery. And vehicles did turn up in lockups and premises sometimes years after going missing.

In all likelihood it was broken for parts very soon after being stolen and there is nothing left, but for the cost of a carefully worded letter to the DVLA, what is the harm in asking?

Mick..............kettle738
didge

Post by didge »

mark.read3 wrote:i think we need to take our rose tinted glasses off here peolple with regards to ever seeing this bike again.
I was thinking that but didn't like to say, it's not gonna happen is it.
Scotch750

Post by Scotch750 »

didge wrote:If the insurance paid out they would be the current registered keeper wouldn't they ?

And if it had been recovered you would have been informed I think.

Thieving b'stards, I had one nicked years ago,never to be found. :(
Hi Didge, yes they did pay out. I'd love to get the no. though.
Cheers Scotch.
snowyrock

Post by snowyrock »

To right , know where your coming from there
grand tourer

Post by grand tourer »

Hi Chaps
I'm pretty sure that a fair percentage of the bikes we try to trace are still out there "in kit form". from my experience they sometimes come with a complete bike as a source of spares as the spares get used you are eventually just left with the frame whichif it has lost it's reg plate and storage becomes an issue or DVLA tell you to naff off when inquiring about the reg you bin it. there is probably nothing legally wrong with it it may have been crashed with no funds to fix it or have suffered a blown engine. The DVLA vehicle enquiry service does build up a picture if you had or can remember enough bike registrations from the past of how short the life was of some of these bikes, the bigger the bike the longer they seemed to survive hence the amount of original kettles about say compared to GT250's.( average life for 250's i would place at between 5 and 7 years) you can get the numbers traced in the trade which I dont think is legal or illegal it's a kind of reverse HPI check where I believe instead of entering the reg to identify the VIN number you enter the VIN to check the reg, I have a friend of a friend who traced some KH frames I had had for some years mainly B1's from 76 of which when I had obtained the reg and recieved the V5's were were mostly one or two owner bikes some scrapped as early as 1980! its a pity DVLA can't help more with this I know the have a million reasons why not,etc but if any body knows a motor trader quite well give it a go ......I didn't put that idea into your head of course (if any body asks).
cheers Andy

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:15 pm.