My old bike !

Looking for your old Kettle post registration info here good luck!
Scotch750

My old bike !

Post by Scotch750 »

Hi, Anybody know where my first GT750B is ? Reg ; XHA 4 S. Bit of a story with this as i bought this bike at 5pm 14th May 1981. My father died 5pm 14th May 1981. So a little sentimental. It got stolen in B'ham two weeks after i restored it early 1982.
Cheers Scotch.
mark.read3

Re: My old bike !

Post by mark.read3 »

welcome to the forum mate , sorry about deleting your post earlier.
Sorry to hear about the bike , bloody brummies.
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

Welcome scotch you are member number 200 good luck with finding the bike.
Scotch750

Post by Scotch750 »

Thanks Mark, No probs mate. I ain't brilliant on these things either.
Hope this gets through.
Scotch.
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Welcome Scotch! have you tried the DVLA website, 'vehicle enquiry'? a failure to find it doesn't say much as it could be in someones shed, or scrapped, or exported. But you never know...
Good luck,
Mike
GT380B (owned since 1978), GT750A, GT750B (and not smug - these things have bankrupted me :-)
kettle738

Post by kettle738 »

XHA 4S is shown on the DVLA database as unlicensed, which just means it was off the road before the introduction of the SORN scheme. (can't recall when SORN was introduced........anyone know?)

Are you aware of whether the bike was ever recovered after being stolen?

You could try writing to customer services at the DVLA and asking them to pass on a letter from you to the current registered keeper if there is one. If the bike was never recovered, the 'current keeper' could still be you.

If you do make a request to the DVLA you will have to provide extremely good reasons for them to agree to forward a letter. I know of one person who did this but unfortunately I was never aware of the final outcome. I would have thought you have a pretty good reason.

Failing that you could try a letter to the membership secretary of the kettle club as they ask for details of each bike owned by members to ask if they have it listed.

Good luck in your search. Mick..............kettle738
Scotch750

Post by Scotch750 »

yeadon_m wrote:Welcome Scotch! have you tried the DVLA website, 'vehicle enquiry'? a failure to find it doesn't say much as it could be in someones shed, or scrapped, or exported. But you never know...
Good luck,
Mike
GT380B (owned since 1978), GT750A, GT750B (and not smug - these things have bankrupted me :-)
Thanks Mike. I had a GT380B Oct '77 to Early '82. Sold that one.
Scotch750

Post by Scotch750 »

kettle738 wrote:XHA 4S is shown on the DVLA database as unlicensed, which just means it was off the road before the introduction of the SORN scheme. (can't recall when SORN was introduced........anyone know?)

Are you aware of whether the bike was ever recovered after being stolen?

You could try writing to customer services at the DVLA and asking them to pass on a letter from you to the current registered keeper if there is one. If the bike was never recovered, the 'current keeper' could still be you.

If you do make a request to the DVLA you will have to provide extremely good reasons for them to agree to forward a letter. I know of one person who did this but unfortunately I was never aware of the final outcome. I would have thought you have a pretty good reason.

Failing that you could try a letter to the membership secretary of the kettle club as they ask for details of each bike owned by members to ask if they have it listed.

Good luck in your search. Mick..............kettle738
Thanks for the info Mick. I may give that a go.
Scotch.
didge

Post by didge »

If the insurance paid out they would be the current registered keeper wouldn't they ?

And if it had been recovered you would have been informed I think.

Thieving b'stards, I had one nicked years ago,never to be found. :(
mark.read3

Post by mark.read3 »

i think we need to take our rose tinted glasses off here peolple with regards to ever seeing this bike again.
Scotch , i think you would have had a pretty good idea who/which club would have had your bike away if you left it in Bham in the 1980's.