IDLE PROBLEMS

Dutch

Re: IDLE PROBLEMS

Post by Dutch »

Hi all,

Before I start the installation of this relay I want to measure the voltage I get at the coils now before I start. With ignition switched on where do I put the probes on my multimeter?

Cheers Jeff
GT750A
teazer

Post by teazer »

One to any of the three orange leads at the 6 pin coil connection and one to ground. That will give voltage at the coils and check all three leads because if one set of points is closed the voltage will probably be different to a cylinder on which the points are open.
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Thanks Teazer
Jeff
GT750A
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Hi Teazer & all

I have checked the voltage on all 3 coils and it's only 9.16v to 9.20v, a huge reduction from the 12.6v checked on the battery beforehand so I am certainly going ahead with this but I am unsure about which wire to cut or break into to connect to 87 and where does the wire go to from 86 on the relay, I'm ok with 30 of course which is the power from the battery with a fuse in between and 85 goes to earth.

Looking at your post Teazer on "Surging" I can't understand when you say cut into the wire that feeds the coils because I only see the 3 orange ones going into the 6 block connector. How do I connect a wire from the relay to 3 orange ones? Its a new loom so don't want to ruin it.

Hope you can help also with advice on wire guage for 85/86/87

I have an in line fuse to connect to No 30 on the relay with 12 awg wire

Cheers Jeff
GT750A
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Here you go
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Thanks Barney

Been trying to work this out all day but I think I've got it now guys after speaking to Baz & Richard and will be attempting it over the next couple of days.

Will let you know the outcome

Thanks for your help
Jeff
GT750A
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

barney01 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:26 pmHere you go
Hmmmmm.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
teazer

Post by teazer »

Coils connector has 3 orange leads and if you open up the loom and follow those back you will get to a crimped connection into the main orange lead that feeds everything. You can cut into the loom wherever you feel comfortable. You could even pull all three orange feeds out of the connector and use one to trigger the relay and make a new short loom from the relay to all three feeds in the coil connector block.

It's simplest if you keep in mind that the old arrangement is red to main switch to orange out to the coils et al. The revised arrangement is a new red (fused) to #30 on the relay as in Barney's diagram, but terminal 87 needs to split into 3 leads to the coils. So the lead that used to feed all 3 coils will now just trigger the relay and a new lead will feed the 3 coils.

If you can cut open the loom and remove the three into one splice, you will make things simpler. You will still need to add ONE orange to trigger the relay and 3 leads from terminal 87 and if you surgically removed it from the loom, all you need is a new terminal on one end to fit on the relay and the other three coil ends remain the same.

It takes less time to do it that it does to describe. Baz has a lightly different way to wire it up but the principal is the same.
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Well guys I've finally completed it and took Richards (it's not a teapot) advice after he kindly phoned me and explained it precisely to me and with his help of a simple diagram.

I took out the 3 orange wires out of the 6 pin connector block both incoming from the loom and outgoing to the coils and made up two new 3 pin connectors blocks and connected the wires to these and then onto the relay 86/87 without cutting any wires this way you can easily revert back to original if you wish to do so should the relay fail for example by simply connecting the two new connector blocks together.

Before this mod I was only getting 9.2v at the coils and am now getting 11.7v a huge improvement and should help me to reduce the idle speed without the engine cutting out and should help with any surging I had, although mine isn't too bad.

I took it out for a quick spin but then some light rain came so quickly returned and all seems fine.

Thanks to you all for your help and looking forward to spring to give it a decent run.
GT750A
gladders

Post by gladders »

Glad you sorted it, Richard is a great guy having given me the same help including the parts to carry out the mod
GT750B, CBX1000, Ducati Multistrada 1200s