suzuki gt750 L

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
paul k

Re: suzuki gt750 L

Post by paul k »

re furbished the switches,all the internals cleaned and greased,hope they still work when i get them wired up
Attachments
the cases stripped
the cases stripped
how many bits
how many bits
the cases shot blasted
the cases shot blasted
the finished items
the finished items
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Nice job! and sooo much more satisfying and cheaper than buying NOS :-)
Mike
paul k

Post by paul k »

decided to make a start on the engine sunday morning,the under side is a right mess.the first bit i cleaned on the lower left was easy a couple of minutes with the degreaser and it looked ok,unfortunatly the rest is baked on solid
Attachments
engine.jpg
paul k

Post by paul k »

thanks Glenn,i do have some scotchbrite i bought 3 pads a few weeks ago from Halfords for flatting of some paint work and also used it on my wheel hubs.i've got all the grime off using an old blunt knife,a tooth brush and de greaser,but its still not quite good enough i'll give the scotchbrite a go tonight.if that does'nt work i am thinking of shot blasting it at a low pressure to see what that does!
Attachments
c engine.jpg
paul k

Post by paul k »

the engine was fitted on friday afternoon,after bubble rapping the frame tubes to protect the new paint,2 pieces of wood,2 car axle stands and a trolley jack and lots of sweat it was in.then on saturday,radiator and pipes then after putting the generator on i thought i would try the electrics.yipeeeeee everything works,but as usual something comes along and to mess things up.went to fit the front sprocket only to find its a 14 tooth not the correct 15,e-bay to the rescue again
Attachments
23042011594.jpg
23042011593.jpg
paul k

Post by paul k »

almost there,just the tank and side panels to spray and headlamp to fit when it arrives(thanks Baz).i had heard somewhere that the air filter box was a bit of a pain to fit,so i thought i start the engine first just to be sure the carbs were ok,i need'nt have worried it fired up after about 5 seconds on the button and ran great and the carbs were spot on(thanks again Baz). sure enough the air box was a right swine i heated the intake rubbers with a hot air gun to make them flexable and still could'nt get them on the carbs properly.i think the rubbers will need replacing as they are quite hard and don't seem long enough.anyway i pushed her outside and fitted the tank and side panels just to see how she looked
Attachments
primer1.jpg
primer.jpg
didge

Post by didge »

You've just gotta love a bike in primer, it's almost a shame to paint it.
paul k

Post by paul k »

nearly there,hope to get the tank lacquered tomorrow.i could'nt resist putting it on to see how its gonna look
Attachments
D.jpg
E.jpg
B.jpg
A.jpg
mark.read3

Post by mark.read3 »

Dmna fine looking bike there Paul, really taking shape now.
paul k

Post by paul k »

almost finished,just the headlight and the tank flap to sort out plus one or two other little bits.took it up the road today only went 1.1/2 miles to make sure every thing was ok did'nt want to risk any further on the first run,pushing a quarter of a ton of kettle home is'nt fun.the wife came to see what i'd been up to these last few months down the shed,she took one look at the bike and said "dont know why you bothered it does'nt look any different to me".good job she does'nt know how much i've spent on it then !!!
Attachments
before the strip down
before the strip down
and after the re-build
and after the re-build
gt750-1++.jpg
gt750-1+++.jpg