Hippo update time.

You can chat about anything you like here
Alan H

Re: Hippo update time.

Post by Alan H »

Well, BH has returned home yesterday with the incontinence seemingly cured. There was a hairline crack in the 2T spider and all the gearbox sprocket area seals have been replaced.
I'll finish the remantling (tank, panels etc) when I get chance and give it a blast up the bypass to clear the smoke out of the 'zorsts. ;)

Thanks to Baz and your mate, who's name I can't remember. :oops:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Out & about and running really well. Still 42mpg not hanging about. Might give it a clean on Sunday if the weather holds fine.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Give the bike a clean at the same time..
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

As what?
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

I'm sure that by now, anyone with a working brain cell will have worked out that the Hippo has moved to 'Dartford' and will now have to get used to a few different things - like getting polished, not being ridden as much, and a diff'rent vernacular (innit?!)
But there again, Big H will have a gentle retirement and I know that Frank(ibaby) will look after the old girl.
I have part swapped the GT550B that used to pose in the shed where big H now calls home, and via Baz's, as a slight detour, now lives in South Yorkshire. (501 miles round trip ffs!)
Now on a diet of semi synth 2T oil, Northern high octane beer petrol and being ridden regularly, Anna - (annanother GT550) will be used regularly and enjoyed. Timing now sorted, I have some extra bits to add to personalise the bike. Off with the squeaky standard horn and a BFO 'gerroutthef'kinway' loud as f'k thing instead fitted, a proper led head light (soon) and a trip to Squires tomorrow, hopefully to annoy the purists. Other bits to follow in another thread when I get round to it. More pics 'soon'.
And yes, I do miss Hippo, it's been here 6 years with a rebuild and 'issues' sorted by Baz and his acolytes, but with my knackered calf muscle and achilles tendon, just too heavy to move about easily easily. Will I miss the old girl? Definitely yes, a completely different beast to ride and although a better tourer with panniers, topbox, tankbag etc. not so much chuckability as the 550s.
Look after her Frank, and get a few miles on. They'll either lover her or hate her.
Will I miss the old girl. Oh yes, but easier on the knackered leg now!
Last edited by Alan H on Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frankibaby7

Post by Frankibaby7 »

:tw alan that’s a very interesting sermon you have just given lol, first I’d like to say thankyou for bringing the hippo to me with ( it’s not a tea pot ) he is also a lovely guy ,who like you , knows his GTS , and I appreciated the thousands of Miles you both traveled to dangerous parts in the soouf lol, secondly I want to say thanks for our amazing pork pies you brought down from Suzuki land , we loved them , I really thought about the miles you did to drop the hippo and get the 550, so thanks mate ,you said you were sad to see the hippo go , I on the other hand ,wasn’t sad to see my 550 go , I’ve had 3 and it was due time for a change , I am very pleased with the hippo , I think she objected a bit when I started to clean her , I got the impression it wasn’t the norm ha ha , joking aside I love the bike , I’ll probably never sell it , I hope you get Anna sorted and rideable ,as I probably did about 20miles on it after 3 years of owning and yes , you got it CLEANING IT ,ha ha , but I enjoy that so it takes all sorts ,I hear you say , I will take care of the hippo , the name stays , any time your down soouf, it’s yours to use mate , alan you have helped me many times with my 550 , and always with a smile , and I really appreciate all you have done to help me , anyway another chapter is starting, I’m sure you will help me along the way if I need it , I know the guys will rib you for it , but your a bloody lovely bloke …..cheers alan :lol: :D
FB189C68-30A6-4365-9022-8008DB54A755.jpeg
Frankibaby :lol:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

More non- standard stuff for BH.
Franki now has a Bandit 1200 front master cylinder to be fitted as his local shop didn't appear to 'do' the refurb kit well on the original.......
So whereas it'll do the job it should, with a bit of luck it'll be summat else to annoy the purists!
Along with the GS1000 calipers, Mobray wheels, Dresda swing arm, incorrect VW/Peugeot colour scheme, LED headlight, wrong mirrors, twin tone horns etc...... ;) :)
Frankibaby7

Post by Frankibaby7 »

:D ha ha yes alan thanks , but you forgot even the engine isn’t standard so the purists will have a field day on the hippo , but that’s ok with me , cheers for the master cylinder,it’s got me out of the doo doo ,and hopefully I’ll fit it today and I’ll be back on the rain sodden roads of soouf london hs ha pics to follow… :lol:
Frankibaby :lol: