New GT750L Decals Available

You can chat about anything you like here
kettle738

New GT750L Decals Available

Post by kettle738 »

A good mate of mine has a beautiful 1974 GT750L that he has owned from almost new; the bike has been the subject of an ongoing restoration to near concours condition, but there was one small part that always eluded him. From new the rear brake plate had two small brake wear limit warning decals which as far as I'm aware were unique to the L model, later bikes have the same information cast into the brake plates and earlier models having nothing...unless you know otherwise.

This decal was aparrently never listed or sold by Suzuki as a seperate part and was essentially unobtainable, added to that they were very vulnerable to cleaning and tended to be obliterated very soon in the bike's life.

A few months back a lovely low miles unmolested GT750L appeared on US ebay and one of the photos featured the elusive brake wear decal; the ever helpful Geoff Ward and Sunrise Graphics have produced copies from that photo which I received the first examples of this morning......they're good.

If you have an L model, they are available here http://www.sunrisegraphics.co.uk/sunrise/ and it would be good if they sold a few sets to justify the production of a very obscure decal.

Mick................kettle738
Attachments
Brake Lining Wear Limit 003.jpg
BrakeLiningWearLimit.JPG
yeadon_m

Re: New GT750L Decals Available

Post by yeadon_m »

Mick,
wonderful piece of detective work and follow up. New info for me too. I wonder if the same warning evolution occured on other Suzukis of the era and if so, one might expect others to use the same decal?
Ian may know...?
Cheers,
Mike
kettle738

Post by kettle738 »

Hi Mike, I don't know if it's correct for any other bikes to be honest, I just knew about the existence of this particular detail as my friend had described it, so when I saw a photo of one, although I don't own an L model and have never actually seen this decal I did know what it was and just how rare it probably is.

I sent the photo to Ian for his Field Guide, I don't think he had ever seen one either, and I knew that Geoff Ward would probably get them made if I asked nicely; it's taken a while but they have made a top job of the reproductions and I hope I can get a few L model owners to buy a set.....I'd be willing to bet that many L model owners don't know of them as I doubt they lasted very long when the bikes were new.

If anyone does know that this decal is correct for any other Suzuki model I'd like to know as it would be useful to tell Sunrise Graphics so they can list them with all the applicable models.

Mick......................Kettle738
oldjapanesebikes

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Nice one Mick ! I think I'll order a set just to add to my collection Image I'm not aware of this being used on any other model, but it would make sense that it would have been. Just need to keep looking.
==================================
Ian
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com
kettle738

Post by kettle738 »

Slight update, if you want a set of these decals, the contact is Geoff Ward (he's the VJMC dating certificate guru if you recognise the name)

E mail him here to buy some gi.ward@ntlworld.com

Mick...................kettle738
oldjapanesebikes

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Mine were waiting for me when I arrived back from vacation - the photo doesn't do them justice as they are very nice indeed. Recommended !

==================================
Ian
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com
kettle738

Post by kettle738 »

Just back from the USA, nine hours in seats that would have a galley slave complaining.

But enough of that, glad you got your brake warning decals and you're happy with them Ian.

As it happens I just found a perfect original monochrome photo of them in situ......page 130 of the GT750 Haynes manual, Wheels Brakes and Tyres.

The Haynes bike, as we all know was an L model.

Mick............kettle738